• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite local game store?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Gizzard said:

Another big Bay Area store is Neutral Ground in Los Altos (?). Its huge, with multiple tables for gaming. They mostly do Magic and GW games, but they dabble in lots of different stuff. On Friday nights you have a fair chance of picking up a game of almost anything ever made.

Thanks Gizzard - forgot about NG. It's in San Antonio Plaza on El Camino in Mountain View. Their RPG section has been steadily shrinking over the past year or so, and I received an look of absolute scorn when I asked if they carried any Reaper figures, but you're right about the in-store gaming.

Also, Wednesday nights, tons of strategy boardgamers get together there (I forget the name of the club). I had a really good game of Adv. Civilization there over the course of a few weeks a while back.

Well I am originally from Pittsburgh and the only halfway decent gamestore I know of there is called "Games Unlimited" located on squirrel hill across from bagel land. It is hit or miss and leave a lot to be desired in a game store but still had the biggest selection of dnd material in the pittsburhg area.

Now I am overseas, stationed at Misawa AB and well, lets just say, the books here don't come in English so I must rely on online ordering and get my stuff 7-10 days after you all, so that would explain why I am always behind in my topics by a week.

beldar1215

Explorer
The best store in the Denver area is Attactix. They have a great selection. They know you by name and will order anything you need. They are located in Aurora. My hats go off to Bill and Tom!!!

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Well in Albany, NY I'd have to say it's Flights of Fantasy. Granted thats mainly because they're pretty much the only one in the area. They're ok. They can be a bit snobbish. If they don't like something and you're buying they will usually make a comment. So I usually end up ordering online.

mmu1

First Post
In NYC, probably Compleat Strategist... Not the only place, but close - there's also the Neutral Ground. Not as big a selection as the Strategist, but they have a pretty big RPG section, and carry some Reaper minis.

If you had asked me this several years ago I would have responded with a resounding call of "Lon's Lair!" But that place in Naperville is long gone, and now is only an online game shop. Now the closest good gaming shop is Games Plus up in Mt. Prospect--and that's about 40 minutes away!

But, GamesPlus is a great store! The owners are very friendly and helpful and even are on the boards. They have a huge game room with a ton of tables, and a ton of products out in the store. I absollutely love GamesPlus. I make a purchase every time I go there--first it was two new books, and then after my dice had failed me, some new 20 siders to rekindle my luck.

William Ronald

Explorer
There are several good stores in the Chicago area.

I would like to recommend Games Plus in Mount Prospect. The game room is huge, and the product selection is impressive. The store was also the site of the EN Chicago Gameday. I played in Mark's homebrew with the owner, Curt Duval, last Saturday. The store has a good staff and a very warm atmosphere.

Hobbytown USA in Oak Park is nice. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The game room is smaller than I would like. However, the pancake house across the street is tremendous.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Maerdwyn said:
Sounds like a good idea to me :)

Well, okay then. This will be a long one. First off...Boston area, my hometown and current residence:

Your Move Games is the best store in town, see my full description earlier in this thread.

Pandemonium is next, again see my first description. A few other things to note as well. They have a 10% discount if you join their club/mailing list. It costs $5 or $10 a year but quickly pays off if you buy a lot of stuff, but unfortunately there's no discount on the used stuff. On the other hand, the used stuff is very reasonably priced to begin with. Also, the location in Harvard Square is very convenient, on the T (subway) and several bus lines. Plus Newbury Comics is right across the hall so you can pcik up your new music and new games at one stop. No gaming space here, though.

The Compleat Strategist on Mass Ave. by the Christian Science Center is good too, but their hours are extremely inconvenient, especially if you work a full time job. They close at 6:00 most weeknights and Saturdays, 7:00 on Wednesdays. Sometimes they're open on Sundays and sometimes not, it seems to change every six months or so. The selection of RPGs and minis are good. They also carry board games, wargames, and those Men-at-Arms books of historical soldiers and weaponry. The mangement has changed recently so I'm not sure about the staff currently but in the past they've often had employees who fit the Simpsons comic store guy stereotype to a 'T'.

The Game Keeper in the Chestnut Hill mall in Newton is like most other Game Keeper/WOTC stores - decent selection of their stuff, D20, some minis, and lots of boardgames.

Local mall bookstores (Waldenbooks and B. Dalton's) generally carry a small selection of WOTC and Sword & Sorcery products but not much else D20.

I've heard that there's good game shops in Waltham and Malden (or maybe Medford) too but haven't found 'em yet. If anyone know more, feel free to jump in.

Now for other cities that I've frequented:

San Francisco - as I mentioned earlier I like Gamescapes on Divisadeo and think that Games of Berkeley used to be better than it is.

Vancouver - I've never been to Imperial Hobbies in Richmond but agree that the Comic Shop on 4th is great. They have a decent selection of used stuff, last year I picked up a couple of the Bloodstone modules, the original World of Greyhawk folio and one or two D&D Basic adventures. Golden Age Games downtown on Granville is mostly comics, but has a small selection of games including lots of Rifts books.

Seattle - I lived here for two years 98-2000. WOTC has stores all over the place and pretty much dominates the scene. Selection is basically as I described for the Game Keeper above, but with slightly more of a focus on RPGs relative to board games. Surprisingly, even though it's only a few short miles to WOTC HQ in Renton, their retail stores get their products from a distributor in CA and generally don't get their own game products in until after all the local shops already have them.

Game & Gizmos on Broadway in Capitol Hill is the best place in town. Street level is all boardgames and toys but downstairs is RPG land with a great selection of games, minis and landscapes, and several playing tables. The staff is great and willing to special order.

The Game Wizard on 65th in Ballard is pretty cool too. The selection of new RPGs is so-so but it's a good place to find anything from most of the 2e era. They also have an extensive selection of minis & landscapes.

Bits & Bytes down in Tacoma was a great store. Good selection of RPGs, minis, and some computer games, as well as in-store playing. Last time that I was there they were about to close down because of lease issues, I think. They were hoping to reopen in a few months but I haven't been in Tacoma since so I'm not sure if it ever happened. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Long Island - I spent a year here in 93-94 (attended Hofstra freshman year). I can't remember the names of the stores but there was one place on the Hempstead turnpike in Levitown that had a good selection of RPDs as well as in-store gaming. The staff at the time were great. One guy even photocopied his poster map from OA1 Swords of the Daimyo for me for free because I had lost mine (but still had the rest of the module). There was also a cool store up in or near Old Westbury but unfortunately I don't have many details to share.

Western Mass - spent the rest of the college years here at UMass. The local comic store had a few things, as did the Media Play in the mall, but overall the situation was pretty grim. I just found out last week on these boards that there's a game store called the Space-Crime Continuum in Northampton run by fellow board member Chris Aylott, but unfortunately I haven't been back there to check it out yet. Chris could probably tell you more if he wants and here's his website as well: http://www.spacecrime.com/

Finally, in Florence, Italy, there's a place on the Via dei Servi about a block or two up from the Duomo that I've noticed the past two times that I've been there because I had to pass it every time I came to or from my hotel. Unfortunately, despite passing it several times a day, I never found it open once. It's always break time in Italy ;). It's too bad because I was hoping to pick up an Italian language version of one or more of the core rulebooks just for the hell of it, but to no avail.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Grew up in Central Mass (Shrewsbury, just east of Worcester), and this was one of my favorite spots:

"That's Entertainment" on Park Ave in Worcester is mostly a comics and used books store, but has a pretty good gaming section, too, including a used section. All the games (Board, RPG, used, etc.) are discounted.

"The Whiz" used to be in Westborough on Route 9 (not sure any more), and had a fair RPG selection, though it had shrunk wuite a bit when I last visited my folks.

When I was in college, I was a big Pandemonium. A good number of the old boxed sets I have on my shelves came from their used section.

Is "Games People Play" still around on Mass Ave? I used to get my board games there.

Remove ads