• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite monster I've never heard of?

Crothian

First Post
Dread Spire

They are enormous deep sea denizens, occasionally spotted by sailors and harnessed by spellcasters as weapons of war.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The Tomes of Horror have a lot of good original demons and devils in them. My personal favorites are the gargugin and marzach devils, partially because they're both good-lever bruisers with interesting abilities, and partially because I suspect that their appearances are based off of demons from the webcomic Sluggy Freelance.

Oh, and as far as WoTC sources go, my favorite obscure monster is the zeugelak from Lords of Madness. It's a giant aberration that lives in the mountains. It lets itself get struck by lightning and uses its inherent powers to teleport to the source of the lightning strike and feather fall all the way down.

Demiurge out.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Henry said:
I used to LOVE the Gambado from the old Fiend Folio (the first "trap door monster" I can remember!)

Also, the Nilbog from FF really hasn't made a 3E appearance, yet.

Gambado! I like the Gambado.

Elemental creature template from 3.0 book of templates. No wierd smites, breath weapons, or spell like abilities, just elemental traits and the specific element powers.

Yep, those are nifty.

Now slap the Necromental, Hollow, and Spellstitched templates on them...OW, that's a lot of special abilities.

Banshee16

First Post
The Barkburr, from the 1st Ed. Monster Manual, was a pretty deadly creature. Like a giant burr with a "petrification" attack....hides in the woods, and if it sticks its proboscis into your PC and you fail the save, you turn into a tree.

Not an exciting creature....but relatively deadly for the level, and I've seen nothing like it since.

Banshee

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Here's six off the top of my head that I've had a LOT of fun with, as either a player or a GM:

Brainstealer Dragon (Dragon Magazine; don't have my books at hand so I'm not sure of the issue #)
Imagine a mind flayer; now imagine a dragon; now imagine a draconic mind flayer. It's a lot like that. Only much, much worse. A great monster, but one to be very careful with because it seems under-CR'd even for a dragon. Its mind blast alone can easily translate into a stun lock followed by a TPK.

Deathjack (Monsternomicon)
It's a steam-powered mecha, right? How bad can it be? Well, it's a steam powered mecha that FUELS ITS OWN BOILER WITH THE STILL LIVING BODIES OF ITS ENERGY-DRAINED ENEMIES. That's how bad it can be. A brutal beater with spell-like abilities that actually has a miniature made for it.

Golem, Paper (Dragon Magazine)
A lesser golem made of origami. Great for a low-level antagonist in an Oriental Adventures game, but suitable for other settings.

Golem, Squiggler (Monster Encyclopaedia v. 2)
It's living graffiti, basically. A very fun lesser golem that's not overwhelmingly powerful but CAN be overwhelmingly creepy.

Grass Devil (Monster Encyclopaedia v. 2)
A vicious little menace that can entangle and, in large numbers, control plants. It doesn't have any kind of a finishing move and is easy to kill, but oh is it annoying to the PCs! Also, very dangerous when combined with another monster (especially a flyer). Try throwing a wyvern or equivalent at even 7th or 8th level PCs who are dealing with a field inhabited grass devils, and I guarantee it will be a memorable encounter. :]

Thornwood Mauler (Monsternomicon)
Your druids will love you for it - if they survive. Think of this powerful animal as a cross between a prehistoric carnivorous giant sloth and a Games Workshop dark eldar who has been overzealously covered with spiky bits. Its not smart, it largely wants to be left alone, and it WILL kill every last adventurer in the room if not stopped. Of course, a 12th level druid who has met one can then turn into it - can, and probably will.

werk

First Post
Presto2112 said:
I've always (inexplicably) had a special place in my limited DMing for the Aurumvorax.

Love them!

Also near and dear to my heart are the Tren. They are like beefy trogs with stumpy tails.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads