• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite monster I've never heard of?

ZSutherland

First Post
Bone Viper - CR2 (Legacy of the Dragons): Nasty snake that stuns you, crawls into your mouth, attaches to your brain-stem, and then controls you while it's eggs gestate in your gullet waiting to hatch and eat their way out of your abdomen. Yuck!

Staj - CR1 (Legacy of the Dragons): Think of a moogle from the Final Fantasy games. Now make it a hideously deformed, mutant moogle. Now replace the cute, red puffball on a string with a 3-clawed appendage and an insectoid stinger coming out the middle. Now understand that said horrid appendage functions with its Improved Grab and an ability called "Eye Extraction (Ex)."

Set

First Post
For Oriental adventures styles games, I have a strange fascination with the child-bearing ghost. (Appears as a young woman carrying a child, and asks a passerby to hold the child for a second while she does something. The child grows magically heavier and heavier, and if the person is somehow able to keep his grip on the child for a sufficient time (which will probably require magic, since it weighs more than a horse in short order!), the woman's spirit is released from it's burden and can finally pass on. If he fails, she picks up the child and walks away, and the hauntings continue...)

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Kopru. Isle of Dread. nuff said.

Neogi...but they have been getting good treatment...whole section in Lords of Madness.

My question (not to hijack the thread..) is what is a norker?

They are a main baddie in the old WG module that I have..Forgotten Temple of Tharuzden..but there's no picture and few stats...
what is a norker??????!

Knight Otu

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
Brainstealer Dragon (Dragon Magazine; don't have my books at hand so I'm not sure of the issue #)
Imagine a mind flayer; now imagine a dragon; now imagine a draconic mind flayer. It's a lot like that. Only much, much worse. A great monster, but one to be very careful with because it seems under-CR'd even for a dragon. Its mind blast alone can easily translate into a stun lock followed by a TPK.
#337.
As for being under-CR'd, my first version added the victim's Constitution bonus to the number of rounds that the dragon needed to extract the brain. We decided to turn it into the flat five rounds for ease of use, and more importantly, to avoid having the dragon nibble at high-Constitution fighters for hours (Yes, the mind blast is a bit stronger than that of a mind flayer, which was a reason not to go with instant extraction, along with the huge grapple bonus a dragon will have). Would that have helped?

Thurbane

First Post
Kheti sa-Menik said:
My question (not to hijack the thread..) is what is a norker?

They are a main baddie in the old WG module that I have..Forgotten Temple of Tharuzden..but there's no picture and few stats...
what is a norker??????!
They are like a neanderthal version of a hobgoblin with oversized teeth who used to attack with a weapon and a bite.

http://www.germy.co.uk/pictures/gallery/norker2.jpg

I have a few homebrew creatures I've thrown into my own games: Shogey (Ghoul/Vampire "crossbreed"), Odius (Undead spellcaster who's main weapon is fear) and the Verminus (huge semi-intelligent centipede like predator of the underdark). I should get around to updating them for 3/3.5E.

Remove ads