What's Your Favorite Name for a TTRPG and Why?

Nijay

Explorer
As much as I hate titles with colons, I like a couple of the White Wolf titles. Each evokes the drama your character finds themselves embroiled in. Vampire: the Masquerade. Changeling: the Lost. These titles tell me that the game is about roleplaying within a certain situation. If I can personally identify with the dramatic theme, I get intrigued to explore those themes in an RPG.

how about just Vagabonds? That name and some inspiring art would pique my interest. Echoes of Traveller too
I would pick that in a heartbeat, except that singular "Vagabond" is the title of an upcoming indie steam game that is also a fantasy rpg, and there are several other game or rpg products which come up on a search for "Vagabonds rpg". It would be hard to make search optimization ever work out for me.

But yeah, originally Vagabond was going to be a class name, but I liked the ring of it too much and it got promoted (temporarily) to game name. And I do appreciate the Traveler vibe.

I re-read your original post. "Murder Hobos" is a well(ish) known term for unscrupulous D&D characters. If that name isn't taken, it might fit your game.
While I like a nod to the fact that typical rpg heroes are sort of disconnected wanderers of dubious social status and perhaps dubious morals, and am playing that up a little bit with classes like "Sellsword" and "Knave", outright working "murder hobo" into the title sets the wrong expectation, both in terms of what the characters should be doing, and in how meme-y the game is going to be.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, my favorite RPG name is probably Human Occupied Landfill. Bloodpouch! comes in a close second. If I'm talking more serious games the answer is probably Vagabonds of Dyfed, which i think is marvelously evocative.

Jahydin

Hero
Zweihänder!

1. It's fun to say out loud.
2. Its analogous to Warhammer, the game it imitates.
3. The book is as heavy as one.
4. Pretty good idea of what kind of game it will be.

Scum & Villainy suits the game to a T.
Follow immediately intrigues me, even if I wouldn't buy one of Ben Robbins' games sight unseen.
Honestly, Dungeons & Dragons isn't bad at all. Just what it says on the tin.
As someone else said, the double 'L' in Traveller is weirdly evocative.

Last edited:

Remove ads