D&D 3E/3.5 What's your favorite Ptolus memory?

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Rereading the 3E Ptolus book (2006) has brought up a lot of old memories from when I was a player Monte's home game of Ptolus (this is back when we were still working on 3E design, 1999–2000). This is probably my favorite memory from that campaign.

Our group (the Runewardens, see page 577) had pushed our way into Mahdoth's Asylum (a place to keep insane spellcasters off the streets) and all hell had broken loose. We ended up in a big free-for all battle against the asylum staff (which included an ocular tyrant, a beholder-like creature, as an anti-magic cone is really handy for shutting down enemy casters) and a few spellcasters that we had accidentally or intentionally freed.
My character, Shurrin, was fighting a summoned monster, and I had my back to the ocular tyrant. The tyrant focusing all of its intention on Erik Mona's paladin of Lothian, Zophas, who was having to make three saving throws every round to not die from the tyrant's save-or-die effects (petrification, disintegrate, and death). Zophas had a really high Cha stat, so his save bonuses were great, but with three big saves every round eventually his luck was going to run out, so he called for help.
Keep in mind that Shurrin was in no way a minmaxed character—starting with a swashbuckler theme, I took levels in fighter and rogue, and eventually added a little cleric as well. And my main weapon was a keen rapier (back in 3.0, keen stacked with the Improved Critical feat), so I was a critting machine ... but my crits were just x2 on a 1d6+1 attack, so my damage output never was that great. By comparison, Zophas used a holy greatsword, and since most of our enemies were evil, he got that +2d6 damage on most things we fought. His damage per round was HUGE. (The difference between these two characters is what led me to write my "keen & Imp Crit should stack" article when 3.5 came out and made them not stack, because even with the higher crit range I couldn't keep up.)
As I was the only person close enough to respond to Zophas' call for help, I turned around and stabbed at the tyrant with my rapier. Rolled a critical threat (not too hard, my threat range was 12–20). Rolled to confirm… and confirmed with another critical threat. Rolled to confirm the second threat… and confirmed that, which mean it was an instant-kill (Monte was using the variant rule for this in the DMG.)
So basically Shurrin was fighting a summoned monster with his back turned to a beholderish thing, heard his friend call for help, turned around, stabbed the tyrant dead in one hit, then went back to fighting the summoned monster. (In the entire length of the campaign, which ended around level 16, I only managed to do that instant-kill TWICE.)
I had a strong sense of satisfaction from that, as Zophas was pretty arrogant and was from an ultraconservative branch of the Lothianite faith that taught that all other gods (including mine, the goddess of laughter) were actually demons. So the moment the "demon-worshipping heretic" saved Zophas' life by killing the monster that was going to destroy him the moment he failed a save was pretty damn nice. :D

(Secondmost favorite memory: Shurrin had a crush on Tellith Herdsman of the Ghostly Minstrel (the inn/pub/restaurant that caters to adventures). But she absolutely refused to be courted by adventurers because she knows they die too often and she didn't want to marry someone who was likely to leave her a widow. After the campaign ended and Shurrin retired from adventuring, Monte told me that he and Tellith eventually got married. :) )

(Thirdmost favorite memory: Either talking to Raguel, or what happened in the Jewels of Parnaith after one of Ghul's undead creatures killed Shurrin…)

For those of you who have run or played in Ptolus, what's your favorite campaign memory?

Retreater

Legend
Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but I don't remember any actual sessions we played in Ptolus (I think I only ran a couple sessions in the city). But what I do remember is receiving the book, getting lost in the setting, and exploring it as an immersive experience with beautiful art and some of the highest production values I've ever seen in any book (let alone an rpg supplement). It certainly changed the way I thought about running city adventures and how I presented cities in my campaigns for years to come.

Menon Balacazar....or Balthazar, as I changed the name...the aged, wily, patriarch of the crime family of the same name. I loved role playing him, he came out very rarely himself, and was so much fun to play, being a non classed old man...which in 3e should have been a quick end for him.

The PC group hated Menon, and his son Malkeen, but could never find enough direct evidence of his malfeasance to either counteract his political pull or justify taking vigilante action on their own. I always played the family as having valuable information or assistance, but at an uncomfortable cost, as everyone knew the family was evil.

In desperate straits, and unable to get a critical piece of information themselves on a galchutt threat, the party in desperation turned to Menon, who gave the group the information and a tavern.
Of course the Balthazar’s controlled the staff, and the contracts for the services of the tavern, and used it as a way to spy on the group, and rope them into the crime family’s sphere of influence.

The tavern was named the Roaring Bore, being in Midtown and a little on the quiet side, but the party heard instead the name as the “Roaring Boar” which stuck.

Memory 2- the 1st time the party tried staying in the Necropolis overnight. The group was sure something awful was going to happen, and they were right.

Too many good memories to be honest.

Sean, if we can see a more expanded Maze of Mirrors write up or full stats, I would greatly appreciate it!😆

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Unlike Sean, I didn't get to play in the original Ptolus campaign (Monte launched it a couple of years before I joined WotC and moved to the area). Instead, I got to hear about it all the time--I shared an office with Andy Collins, I worked with Michele Carter, Chris Perkins was my boss, I was friends with Jesse Decker, and on and on.

Monte did occasionally run one-shot side adventures, and I played in one of those. We were trying to break into a wizards' tower, but doing so aboveground was impossible (at least at our level), so we tried to reach it via the underground. Mostly, we ran into a lot of very creative traps, and mostly I was on point for them, playing the party's rogue.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Erm. Man, too long ago. I don't remember the name. It was a one-shot, though, and I think most of the players weren't the regulars despite the fact that it was set concurrent to (I think) the actions of the two campaign groups.

(That's one of the cool things about Ptolus, I think: As an adventuring, dungeon-adjacent boom town, there's room for lots of simultaneous activities by different adventuring groups!)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My favorite was reading Banewarrens in like 2012 and realizing it takes place adjacent to Ptolus, and then having a further realization that when I owned my game store, I could have had Ptolus at cost; but decided to sell it to a customer instead. I think I made the right decision lol...

(and no, I have never played or run it sadly - but hey there's a kickstarter so that may change!)

But now chrisshorb has to go around knowing someone else got to play his Ptolus campaign! 😱

Looking to the future, I am mulling Cypher Ptolus plus Invisible Sun. ( a post prison plane future perhaps).

Though not in the Ptolus book, I loved the Kython as monsters and chaositech....it strikes me that Arcana of the Ancients, might be a nice place to start for 5e analogues.

Waller

Legend
Monte Cook Games employees (but not Monte Cook) having a random conversation with each other on EN World? Must be another Kickstarter.

Remove ads