• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite villainous creature type?

What's your favorite villaneous creature type?

• Aberrations

Votes: 112 30.6%
  • Animals

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Constructs

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Dragons

Votes: 83 22.7%
  • Elementals

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • Fey

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Humanoids

Votes: 138 37.7%
  • Magical Beasts

Votes: 23 6.3%
  • Monstrous Humanoids

Votes: 51 13.9%
  • Oozes

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Outsiders

Votes: 129 35.2%
  • Plants

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Undead

Votes: 141 38.5%
  • Vermin

Votes: 6 1.6%

Shade

Monster Junkie
In my experience, outsiders make the absolute best villains, with aberrations, dragons, and undead a close second.

cwhs01

First Post
I´m curious to hear from the people that voted for oozes, vermin and animals. Personally i think i would find it a little anoying if the bbeg of the otherwise serious campaign, turned out to be a rabid badger with a grudge agaisnt humanity or an ochre jelly frenzied berserker. IMO a succesful bbeg has the capacity for longterm planning, something all three creature types lack (usually).

Or someone may have just voted for one of each category please?

lukelightning

First Post
Ambrus said:
Damn. I swear I ran my post through a spellchecker... D'oh! :eek:

Should be "Villainous".

To be fair, I'm always spelling it as "villian" like the name "Gillian" with a V. And "village" as "villiage." And "villain" and "village" actually have the same root. Ok, lesson over.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Constructs deserve more love. There's just so much possibility in the things. They can be built with an infinite variety of appearances, and be made out of pretty much any material (even a stone golem doesn't have to be just stone), and feature magic items as fun additional components. They can be ancient artifacts left behind by long-dead civilization, or new weapons made in secret by a warlike nation. They could be dangerously erratic due to magical "programming" errors, or created as immortal bodies for wizards who'd rather not go lich.

We've had our dragon book, and our undead book, and our aberration book. I want a construct book, next.

Eloi

First Post
Humanoids, Outsiders, and Undead.

Humanoids can have really compelling plot hooks on them.. like correspondence found in a pocket that details the scheduled time, two weeks from now, that the forces of Evil are planning to attack (PC name)'s town and enslave anyone they don't kill. And where the planned staging area is, just before the attack.

Outsiders for their black and white malevolence. Demons are quite clearly Bad. Everyone in the party can easily understand why a demon infestation needs to be prevented/nipped in the bud. (Some parties need a lot of convincing to stay together.)

Undead quite clearly plan ahead.. A Lich can Charm, Dominate, and pay for quite a few agents, and do a lot of its own information gathering. Some of them even pay for "special information" to be hand-delivered to far-away places by adventurers that seem a bit too nosy.. and have already planned for the recipient to be kidnapped and taken to a place where creatures inimical to the Lich's goals are thriving. After all, everyone knows what Adventurers do when presented with obvious foes, right? :)

The best part is when the unconscious recipient is unshackled from the altar, healed to wakefulness, and given the scroll that's travelled so far to reach them.. and they get a look of puzzlement, and exclaim, "Betrothal? What? I don't even *have* an Uncle Mandor.."

Liches even have time to research the special form of command-detonated Explosive Runes which only goes off when the phrase, "We've been duped!" is uttered nearby. Just priceless. :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Outsiders. About evenly split between tanar'ri/obyriths and yugoloths.

That said, I'd probably enjoy using the kamarel in some antagonist capacity at some point.

Aberrations come in a distant second, only because I've had a large number of illithids and even more bizarre tentacled... things... in my current campaign.

Remove ads