D&D (2024) What's your favorites new subclass?

I'd be happy enough with:

While your Rage is active, you channel the grasping branches of the World Tree. When you hit why a Melee attack, you can activate the Push or Topple property, even if you are using another Mastery property with that weapon.

Just subtract the range boost/vines thing, and forgive any templating mistakes on my part.
So limit it to Rage-only and remove the reach, and all you get is a trigger for 1 weapon mastery ability? Doesn't feel right for level 10 ability to me.

I really like the extended reach (with a reach weapon, the reach is 20ft., which is unique). It feels like a Warden of the World Tree, channeling its might like the reaching branches and roots. I'm actually a really big fan.

Scribe

Legend
Oh yeah I see the Rage rider was added in your update, I dont need that.

I just want the weird vine/reach thing gone lol.

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
I really like the extended reach (with a reach weapon, the reach is 20ft., which is unique). It feels like a Warden of the World Tree, channeling its might like the reaching branches and roots. I'm actually a really big fan.
But why do the roots and branches these World Tree barbarians are channeling have to sprout out of their weapons, and only out of their weapons? Can't the World Tree just manifest branches and roots at range, without having some arbitrary anchor to a weapon? Per the subclass write-up, apparently not. The roots and branches are sprouting out of the World Tree barbarian's weapons. Which, thematically, is tangential at best.

I'm okay with teleport and support barbarians. I'm okay with reach and topple barbarians. I could even see them being in the same subclass if the theme was "warping space" or something. ("You will never escape the orbit of my all-consuming rage!") But the theme is "cosmic tree." I'm not convinced slapping "its roots and branches" on a mechanically interesting effect is enough to justify its existence as a cosmic-tree-themed feature.

But why do the roots and branches these World Tree barbarians are channeling have to sprout out of their weapons, and only out of their weapons? Can't the World Tree just manifest branches and roots at range, without having some arbitrary anchor to a weapon? Per the subclass write-up, apparently not. The roots and branches are sprouting out of the World Tree barbarian's weapons. Which, thematically, is tangential at best.

I'm okay with teleport and support barbarians. I'm okay with reach and topple barbarians. I could even see them being in the same subclass if the theme was "warping space" or something. ("You will never escape the orbit of my all-consuming rage!") But the theme is "cosmic tree." I'm not convinced slapping "its roots and branches" on a mechanically interesting effect is enough to justify its existence as a cosmic-tree-themed feature.
And I offered an option where the tendrils came from their forearm muscles to wield their weapons differently. Maybe they add that they can also extend the reach of their unarmed strike as well? As long as it is during a Primal Rage, that sounds interesting to me!

Brawler Fighter and Dancer Bard are pretty sick.
For me Brawler Fighter is theoretically awesome, but the actual current design is lacking. That you can't use your bonus action unarmed attack to punch someone is top tier ridiculous design, just absolutely laughable stuff that flies straight against the archetype it's supposed to be portraying.

Dancer Bard is a bit more together mechanically. They are, of all classes, I think the one most likely to have a good unarmoured AC, because Bards naturally tend to want CHA and DEX, whereas Barbarians do not really want a DEX above 14 (as all their abilities are explicitly STR-only), and WIS is sorta-kinda a waste to go much into as a Monk (unless you're the Astral subclass), because so little goes off it, and unlike Brawlers, Dancers are allowed to use their Unarmed Attack, to well, Attack, and do more damage than Brawlers too (including with ones not triggered by Bardic Inspiration). Their other abilities aren't bad either.

Definitely glad both are in conceptually though.

I'd say them, Ocean Druid and Worldtree Barb (which needs to be able to give itself THP, it's just overcautious design right now) are my favourite new subclasses.

Yaarel

He Mage
The World Tree can mean different things in different contexts. Sometimes, it is the air itself, where the dome of the branches are the dome of the sky, while the clouds fling across, high on its branches. It tree full of leaves and leafless are the seasonal cycles of the sky. It especially connotes the air anchoring and rooting in place within land.

The World Tree can mean other things also. It is reasonable for some of the Barbarian subclass mechanics to refer to airy and skyey effects, even with the concept of an ordinary tree reaching upward into the sky.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For me Brawler Fighter is theoretically awesome, but the actual current design is lacking. That you can't use your bonus action unarmed attack to punch someone is top tier ridiculous design, just absolutely laughable stuff that flies straight against the archetype it's supposed to be portraying.

Dancer Bard is a bit more together mechanically. They are, of all classes, I think the one most likely to have a good unarmoured AC, because Bards naturally tend to want CHA and DEX, whereas Barbarians do not really want a DEX above 14 (as all their abilities are explicitly STR-only), and WIS is sorta-kinda a waste to go much into as a Monk (unless you're the Astral subclass), because so little goes off it, and unlike Brawlers, Dancers are allowed to use their Unarmed Attack, to well, Attack, and do more damage than Brawlers too (including with ones not triggered by Bardic Inspiration). Their other abilities aren't bad either.

Definitely glad both are in conceptually though.
I think the Brawler is better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. But on the other hand, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it getting buffed. Right now it looks passable to me, but there’s plenty of room to make it stronger without any risk of it being overpowered by any means, so bring on the buffs! I’m just glad to see a strength-focused unarmed fighter, and the improvised weapon angle on top of that is quite cool.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the Brawler is better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. But on the other hand, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it getting buffed. Right now it looks passable to me, but there’s plenty of room to make it stronger without any risk of it being overpowered by any means, so bring on the buffs! I’m just glad to see a strength-focused unarmed fighter, and the improvised weapon angle on top of that is quite cool.
I wouldn't say it needs buffs so much as making it's rules interactions more explicit.

Remove ads