• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your take?: Downloading illegal copies of sourcebooks

Will you ever download sourcebook copies from the net?

• Yes, and then I keep them and don’t buy the sourcebook. Cheaper that way, see?

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Yes, I think it is an important way to check out material in depth before I go buy it in the store.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes, for large sourcebooks, which cannot properly be checked out in a bookstore, I will occasionally

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No, although I can see why other’s are doing it.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, it is piracy like everything else and should not happen under any circumstance.

Votes: 14 58.3%

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbeam60

First Post
Hi all

Yeah, so like everybody else I am a Kazaa user. I use it to .... download .... young .... aspiring artists who .... give away their work for free ... yeah, that's right.

I don't know why this never crossed my mind before, but I was looking for d20 adventures (yeah, the free kind actually) and inputting d20 just gave me a SLEW of d20 material, all scanned, all PDF, ready to print, full color.

Whoa!

I know a lot of people justify downloading copyrighted music off Kazaa by saying that they are checking it out and if they like the CD, they go buy it.

I can actually, sort of, see the sense in that argument, but I was surprised to find myself thinking: "Wait a minute, the authors worked really hard for this, I should go check out the book in the bookstore if I consider picking it up".

What's your take on this issue? Do you think sourcebooks follow the same argument as music: That we are merely checking it out for a purchase?

regards
Toft

sunbeam60

First Post
Having just returned to the boards a week or so ago, I might be stepping in someone's footsteps. Did a thread like this get closed down? Or was it particularly lively?

Regards
Toft

DDK

Banned
Banned
Heh, and to think, I had absolutely nothing to do with the posting of this thread! :D

I bet... hmm... another five posts... actually, make that three, Mark's online...

nHammer

First Post
sunbeam60 said:
Having just returned to the boards a week or so ago, I might be stepping in someone's footsteps. Did a thread like this get closed down? Or was it particularly lively?

Regards
Toft

This subject has been talked about. But that isn't the problem (well, not a major one). The problem is that I don't believe the poll is allowed.

sunbeam60

First Post
nHammer said:

This subject has been talked about. But that isn't the problem (well, not a major one). The problem is that I don't believe the poll is allowed.

[treading carefully]
Because it involves the discussion of potentially illegal stuff? Ok, well, I guess it's going to get shut down then. Simply curious, that's all....
[/treading carefully]

regards
Toft

Crothian

First Post
Also, because we havea lot of small time publishers and pirating their material probably really hurts them. I imagine they are not happy with the situtation.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
Since the industry is too small to be able to handle the problem- the consumer's should handle it.

Ostracize those people who do it. Don't let them play at the table- drop them on the ignore list on message boards.

It won't solve the problem, but it will make it clear whose side the consumers are on to everyone involved.

SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads