• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When and how do you tell a DM he is possibly in error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabborwacky

First Post
Forum mods, please close this thread down. I didn't intend for my statements to be inflammatory, and apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my posts.

To Kalani: The game in question was enjoyable, and I didn't complain or fight with the DM over rules. The entire reason I even made this thread was because I was being so respectful to the DM I didn't know how or when I was supposed to bring up an issue for fear of offending him or slowing the game down. Not to mention I have no idea what a "rules lawyer" is in the context of his early game comments.

As for whether I made a mistake or not, players coming into D&D 5e can and will get confused about rules. With the table of contents issue of the PHB as well as all the homebrew rules floating around, misunderstandings will occur. I'm sorry you think I'm some kind of special snowflake. I've always found your comments to be helpful.

There's a character sheet on DMsGuild that has a Player Reference Sheet in it. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it has /tg/ somewhere in the description. That PRS covers a lot of the basic rules that come into question during play, and includes page citations to the original text. Ever since finding it, I've made sure to have enough copies so that every table at the FLGS I organize for has 3-4 copies for the players and DMs to use each week. I recommend printing at least 2-3 copies to bring with you to your games. It makes the process of in-game error handling go smoother, as you know exactly where to look in the book if more details are needed.

kalani

First Post
Forum mods, please close this thread down. I didn't intend for my statements to be inflammatory, and apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my posts.

To Kalani: The game in question was enjoyable, and I didn't complain or fight with the DM over rules. The entire reason I even made this thread was because I was being so respectful to the DM I didn't know how or when I was supposed to bring up an issue for fear of offending him or slowing the game down. Not to mention I have no idea what a "rules lawyer" is in the context of his early game comments.

As for whether I made a mistake or not, players coming into D&D 5e can and will get confused about rules. With the table of contents issue of the PHB as well as all the homebrew rules floating around, misunderstandings will occur. I'm sorry you think I'm some kind of special snowflake. I've always found your comments to be helpful.
This is understandable, and thank you for clarifying your misunderstanding. Your earlier posts came across as an attempt to force a DM to abide by an alternative rule more than a misunderstanding. It happens to the best of us. I sincerely hope that despite the harassment you suffered (as mentioned in your other thread), you do not think ill of the majority of the gaming community. The actions of one bad individual do not speak for the majority.

As far as your specific misunderstanding goes - despite using skill checks, the rules for Grapple/Shove are a special type of "Attack". You are correct that the rules give DMs leeway for allowing alternative skill checks, or skill checks using alternative statistics should the situation warrant (such as a dexterity athletics check made to climb for example), however DMs in AL are expected to use the rules as written when possible. Furthermore, while AL DMs have empowerment to choose whether a specific action calls for an Acrobatics check, Dexterity Saving Throw, or some other check - the DM does not have the authority to overrule an explicit rule.

House rules vs. Rulings
Grapple/Shove are explicitly stated as being opposed Athletics vs. Athletics/Acrobatics checks. DMs in AL don't have the power to substitute a different rule (such as an opposed Acrobatics or Arcana check), as that crosses the line between making a ruling (on an ambiguous rule, or a situation the rules don't cover), and making a house rule (changing a rule explicitly stated in the PHB/DMG/etc).

It isn't as clear cut as this either, as DMs may make a ruling on something they believe the rules don't cover (when it does). Such rulings stand unless a player can quickly provide the rules reference showing the DM in error. Should the DM ignore the rules reference, it then puts the players in a difficult position - as they either accept the inaccurate (and incorrect) ruling for the session, or continue to discuss the situation (putting the game on hold as a result). This can also cross the lines into disruptive behavior depending on how it is handled.

In most situations, I simply believe the best course of action is to roll with the inaccurate ruling and then talk about it afterwards. The only time this solution doesn't really work is if the inaccurate ruling results in the death of a character, or inequitable division of treasure or magic items.... There is no good solutions in such situations.

My apologies for misunderstanding your earlier posts. I did not realize that you were simply misunderstanding how the rules worked, and misunderstood your repeated insistence that the DM honor your character concept and allow you to make Acrobatics-based shove attempts as an attempt to force your DM to abide by a rule (or ruling) made at a different table. You worded your posts eloquently enough that I (wrongly) assumed you understood the rules and was trying to impose your preferred ruling (or rules interpretation) on another DM, which is why I responded with expect table variation (esp. in respect to a house rule).

Either way, there is no excuse for harassment. If anyone in this thread was guilty of harassing Jabborwacky, you should be ashamed of yourselves as such behavior is not tolerated, or welcome within the Adventurers League.

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I've been told I can be a bit of an overbearing jerk in online communcations, so while I stand by what I've said in this thread, I'll gladly apologize if the tone seemed overly aggressive or belittling -- that was not my intent.

--
Pauper

Granville

First Post
I will just say, as a rules lawyer DM, I do not believe I am always right, but I try to be. However, I always tells players if they feel i'm making a mistake, to bust out the book and show me; This way I don't repeat it again and know for the future, be it in a player or a DM capacity.

Now at my local FLGS, most of the DMs do not follow the AL adventures or the printed hardcovers word for word like a bible, while me and the LSC tend to. This has resulted in a lot of complaints. So, when I start winging things at the table, first thing I do is tell the players "We are veering off the course of what I have as official AL material, just letting you know." or "Hey, I colored this faceless mook orog NPC to have a dead-eyes berzerker samurai personality because he accepted death was coming long ago, just to make the story more interesting. But in the book, he's just a smarter orc with more health."

S'mon

Legend
The problems emphasized at the start go above and beyond simple table variation and becomes particularly problematic in the case of the third part. It is entirely possible a player character's story and background can only be represented by a particular interpretation of a skill or rule. In my case I had created a wizard conscripted into the Myth Drannor/Thultanthar conflict and I needed some mechanic to represent the kind of defensive combat training a mage might receive in the process. I'd encountered discussions on the possible martial aspects of the acrobatics skill, so I made it part of my background.

After having been informed about the character no less than three times and raising no issues with the interpretation of the acrobatics skill in relation to my character background, he performs a one-eighty on the matter in the middle of combat the very first time the issue comes up. He has now potentially wasted my time or PKed my character simply because I reasonably assumed I could perform certain combat maneuvers with the acrobatics skill in place of athletics. How would a player feel if a DM suddenly decided magic missile doesn't exist when an enemy wizard is casting the spell that will most likely kill their level 6 AL character?

Unless you asked the GM "Can I do offensive maneuvers with Acrobatics that require
Athletics in the RAW?" and he said yes, then changed his mind in play, the GM has done absolutely nothing wrong. In fact it may well be that by AL rules he would have been in the wrong
to let you do this (I don't know the AL rules).

To me this looks a lot like a player trying to sneak in special abilities via the text of their
background - I once had a player tell me his PC was unkillable because in his background
he'd written that he was cursed to be killed by a red dragon. I booted that player. In this case it may be a misunderstanding due to a prior GM bending the rules (which I believe AL allows) so I would try to be lenient initially and explain what the rules are, and that the words you wrote in your background don't trump the rules. If you wanted your PC to be good at unarmed combat you should have built them for that within the rules.

S'mon

Legend
Forum mods, please close this thread down. I didn't intend for my statements to be inflammatory, and apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my posts .

I haven't seen anyone inflamed or offended here, just fairly polite to very polite disagreement.

I believe you can PM the mods to request thread be closed if you want.

Byakugan

First Post
Somewhere on page 1, someone did get pretty condescending with the snowflake comment. Didn't sit well with me. Thats a bit over the line IMO, and he clearly noticed the slight because the OP repeated used the same terminology later. The OP was not the one who should apologize.

On the original topic, yours is not a unique issue. This is the same issue as when the bard wants to have a sharp edge on his lute so he can use it as a weapon AND an instrument, and the monk that wants to use a quarterstaff that is also a concealed sword cane, and the wizard that wants to use his ring(or some other thing he is wearing) as his arcane focus. All things that are pretty cool, and entirely appropriate in home games. But all of these things are not kosher for AL. They are minor mechanical substitutions, ie house rules. If you get to substitute a different skill for that, then the other guy playing a wizard then says 'my character is smarter, so he wants to make a investigation check to trip the bad guy. The warlock then says well I want to trick him into falling with my deception skill. Even if it is a cool idea, and something they totally did in Princess Bride, it boils down to 'I want do stuff only using the 3 skills I am good at.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads