• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When can you draw a weapon as part of a regular move?

brehobit

Explorer
Last night I let someone draw a weapon while standing up from prone (all as a move action). It seemed pretty reasonable...

Mark

Slobber Monster

First Post
I would say by RAW a regular move is ...a "Move", which is a type of move action. So no to 5' steps, charges, or standing up (all move actions which are not the "Move" move action), and yes to tumbling and jumping (both done as part of normal movement). I would take the "regular" part of "regular move" to mean no to any type of movement for which the creature does not have a base movement speed - swimming, climbing, etc.

I wouldn't be adverse to a looser reading than this so long as 5' steps are not allowed. The most important thing is to deny full attacks to anyone without quickdraw.

werk

First Post
Kalshane said:
While it might not be RAW, I see no problem with allowing a character to draw a weapon while charging. It's a very samurai-esque dashing forward and drawing as you attack sort of thing in my mind.

That's why samurai get it as a class ability after a few levels.

Ceska

First Post
A little thread necromancy from me... ;)

After I´ve read the posts above I think I´m right, but I ask the question anyway to be sure.
In our game session today there was an argument about sheating AND drawing a weapon with one move action (and therefore attack with the remaining standard action and the drawed weapon). The player argumented, that since sheating a weapon is a move action, and as he has a +1 bab, he would be able to draw another weapon with the very same move action.
I argumented, that drawing a weapon in this way is only possible, when you make a regular move (and move your speed, or part of your speed).

Now, what do you think?

IMO the RoTG quoted as "drawing (but not sheathing) a weapon is a nonaction that you can take along with a regular move (that is, a move action that you use to move up to your speed across the battlefield)." pretty much answers that.

Sheathing a weapon is not a regular move as defined above, therefore you cannot sheathe and draw a weapon during the same action sans QuickDraw feat.

Remove ads