• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Dazed, can you take a free action WITH a standard?

Maximilia

First Post
Just that. In a game (and I keep meaning to ask this but keep forgetting) I'm playing in, this came up again tonight. Our ranger was allowed one action (akin to dazed--he wasn't, but he was allowed one action, so he might as well been). He was going to drink a healing potion, which is an action. He has a Potion Bandolier (the one that allows you to draw out potions as a free rather than minor action). Now, since it's a free action, can he draw the potion and drink it, or can he only do one or the other since it's stated he gets "one action" and that is it.

Also, can you use free actions while stunned? I think no, but... just asking for a clarification, I guess.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I cannot say definitively, but as GM I would rule "yes!" Though this was not my initial interpretation.

Looking at the description of Free Action and Dazed, I find this under Dazed;

"You can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions)."

If we assume the answer to your question is "no," then the parenthetical makes no sense. It would read, in that case; "You can take either a standard action, a move action, a minor action, or a free action on your turn." Emphasis mine.

By calling out free actions as a parenthetical and referring to them as "free actions," I interpret this to mean WotC sees actions as having a "cost."

Standard, Move, and Minor actions all cost 1. A free action costs 0. When dazed, you get 1 action. Since free actions cost 0, you can spend as many of them as your GM rules appropriate.

Maximilia

First Post
I completely agree with that. What about when stunned? Since a free action is "free", would they able to take a free action when stunned? I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe it says "they can take no actions".

mattcolville

Adventurer
I would rule, "no," on free actions while stunned.

Stunned says "you may take no actions." A free action is still an action. Therefore you may not take one. Looking under Free Actions, it doesn't make an exception for Stunned and the description of both clearly implies that when you are stunned, you're mentally incapable of willingly doing anything requiring conscious thought.

I'm once again reminded of the sage advice of L5R guru Zen Faulks when he said "The rules are not trying to trick you." :D

Maximilia

First Post
Hee. Like I said, I didn't have the book in front of me here (I'm at work), but the dazed-only taking one action-thing came up in gaming tonight. Thankfully, the GM ruled as you suggested because I think that's the right interpretation. Of course, it's his game so he can run it how he likes. Thank you for the quick reply.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Regarding Dazed condition, I say you can take multiple numbers of free actions, both in or out or your turn.

After all, even "Actions on your Turn" in PHB P269 says "Your Actions: You get the following three actions...." But you can take free actions in your turn in addition to them.

Regarding Stunned condition, It seems clear that you can't take any free actions at all, both in our out of your turn. It clearly states that "You can’t take actions." And a free action is still an action.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Hee. Like I said, I didn't have the book in front of me here (I'm at work), but the dazed-only taking one action-thing came up in gaming tonight. Thankfully, the GM ruled as you suggested because I think that's the right interpretation. Of course, it's his game so he can run it how he likes. Thank you for the quick reply.

I think it's a reasonable question.

As an aside, you might consider investing in the DDI. I was able to answer your question in spite of having no idea where my books are, because I just launched the Rules Compedium and typed in "Dazed," then "Free Action" and "Stunned" opening each in a new tab so I could easily go back and forth between them.

Super useful!

DracoSuave

First Post
Just that. In a game (and I keep meaning to ask this but keep forgetting) I'm playing in, this came up again tonight. Our ranger was allowed one action (akin to dazed--he wasn't, but he was allowed one action, so he might as well been). He was going to drink a healing potion, which is an action. He has a Potion Bandolier (the one that allows you to draw out potions as a free rather than minor action). Now, since it's a free action, can he draw the potion and drink it, or can he only do one or the other since it's stated he gets "one action" and that is it.

Dazed does not affect free actions. You can perform them just fine. This is legal.

Also, can you use free actions while stunned? I think no, but... just asking for a clarification, I guess.

Stunned prevents all actions. Free actions are actions.

spayne

First Post
Looking at the description of Free Action and Dazed, I find this under Dazed;

"You can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions)."

This has been changed in the rules compendium to be more clear.

Dazed
The creature doesn't get its normal complement of actions on its turn; it can take either a standard, a move, or a minor action. The creature can still take free actions.

Remove ads