Level Up (A5E) A5E Rogue; Cunning Action

Huntedown

Villager
Good morning/evening everyone.
My group and I had a discution late last night about Cunning action. We were wondering if the activation of a magic item does fall under the Use an object that require an activation as an action? Such as Rope of entanglement

Cunning Action
Also at 2nd level, you use your mobility to weave through the battlefield. Each turn in combat, you can use a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action

Use an Object

Normally, you use an object while performing another action, such as drawing a sword while running forward or or an arrow as part of an attack. You are also able to interact with one object for free on your turn without spending an action (like opening an unlocked door, undoing a peace bond on a weapon, or tearing down a wanted poster). When an object otherwise requires your action for its use (like administering or drinking a potion), you take the Use an Object action, which can also be useful when you need to interact with more than one object on your turn.

Back of the good old day of 3.5, there was a difference between use magic item and use normal item
Also JC did gave mix message relating to Fast Hand from O5E, an opinion that I personally don't agree with.

Last edited:

trials and treasures, page 208:
Note that the Use an Item action does not apply to magic items — any item that requires an action to activate is treated as its own separate action, not the Use an Item action.
and no, i don't know why trials and treasures calls it use an item when the adventurer's guide calls it use an object.

Huntedown

Villager
trials and treasures, page 208:

and no, i don't know why trials and treasures calls it use an item when the adventurer's guide calls it use an object.

Make sense so far, but...

Consumables
Magic items can also be used up when activated— elixirs and potions have to be swallowed, oils applied to an item or creature’s body, arcane or divine script disappearing as it is read from a spell scroll, and so on. A consumable magic item loses its magic after being used.

Potion are allow under cunning action, but they seem to bundle up all consumable into one category. Does that mean that only potion are exempt from the 'use an item' stipulation? Or would scroll and oil be affected with cunning action?

Potion are allow under cunning action, but they seem to bundle up all consumable into one category. Does that mean that only potion are exempt from the 'use an item' stipulation? Or would scroll and oil be affected with cunning action?
specific beats general, so unless one of the writers clarifies my assumption would be potions are the only exception.

Remove ads