when did white dwarf become house Mag

bolen

First Post
The title says it all. As a kid I always looked at WD and it carried articles for many companies. Of course the same was true for dragon mag. I kind of know the history of dragon but does anyone know when WD stated to carry only GW miniatures articles?

Garnfellow

Explorer
bolen said:
The title says it all. As a kid I always looked at WD and it carried articles for many companies. Of course the same was true for dragon mag. I kind of know the history of dragon but does anyone know when WD stated to carry only GW miniatures articles?

Somewhere around issue 90.

frankthedm

First Post
Annoying ain't it? Though sometimes the fluff is yoink-able. And the craft articles are decent for terrain. I'd say the mag is 'worth' $2 US an issue, but thats about it.

Glyfair

Explorer
bolen said:
I kind of know the history of dragon but does anyone know when WD stated to carry only GW miniatures articles?
As a follow-up, did White Dwarf ever carry non-GW related material?

I remember it used to have D&D articles (indeed, much of the Fiend Folio was from WD) and Runequest articles. However, both games were distributed and I believe published by GW for the European market.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I recently bought a dozen of pre warhammer-minis-only WD on ebay. Up to number 87-90, in 1987 or so, the magazine still featured material for mainly AD&D, Runequest and Traveller, with a bit of Call of Cthulhu and a superhero game sprinkled in. The, it became but a big piece of crap, even for warhammer fans, as the magazine was now just a big advert for GW minis. Beware that at some point WD began to number again at zero and up, so you could be mistaken when trying to buy early issues on ebay.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Glyfair said:
As a follow-up, did White Dwarf ever carry non-GW related material?

I remember it used to have D&D articles (indeed, much of the Fiend Folio was from WD) and Runequest articles. However, both games were distributed and I believe published by GW for the European market.
Well, considering that for many years GW was just about the only RPG distributor in the UK... They carried just about all the major games of the eighties. (Traveller, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, D&D, the exceptions, I think, were SPI and FGU.) And they did have an article or two for Chivalry & Sorcery, so yes, they did once upon a time cover games that they did not produce.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads