When did you start posting your story hour?

When Did You Begin Posting Your Story Hour?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Curiosity struck me this afternoon, wondering what the spread of starting story hours over the last six years or so. . . Was there a time period where most began? How many recent ones are there compared to older ones?

So in the poll I will add in moment, please choose the range of dates that most closely matches when you started posting it.

If you have more than one story hour please choose your oldest one and post the dates of the later ones to the thread itself.

Also, even if your story hour is defunct or completed please take part in the poll as how long they lasted does not matter as much to what I would like to find out.

Just to make things more interesting, feel free to post what inspired you to being posting it (I assume (cntxt)'s RTTOEE and P.Kitty's DoD will be the most popular reasons).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I can't be entirely sure; I know it was pre-2002 (when these boards went live) because the storyhour forum was the first one that was opened so that storyhours could be copied across. My storyhour is certainly among the oldest thread on these boards (thread id = 122!).

I'm pretty sure that I started it in Q1 2001 or thereabouts; inspired (as you guessed) by Piratecats and Contacts storyhours, plus Sagiro's storyhour too. It seemed like a fun way of recording our experiences and there was the idea that it might be fun for others to read too.

As I recall, the number of storyhours ramped up quite quickly, and i know I don't spend nearly as much time in the storyhour forum as I used to (mostly because of increased pressure at work) but I get the impression that new storyhours are being born on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing what this poll looks like in a few days time!

Cheers

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm trying to remember - 3e launched in August, 2000, right? That means that Eric opened his first board in August, 1999, right after 3e had been announced. We had been playtesting 3e since November 1998; I joined the boards in September or August of '99.

I started the first intimations of my story hour in January or February of 2000 -- really, I just posted what happened in a really fun game, and people started asking me questions. When (contact) emailed me an already written copy of his Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, I though it was so good I started posting it. I think Nemmerle was third, or close to it, and then Eric split us off into our own forum (the second forum on the boards.)

I can't believe it's been six years. The question is, does anyone still remember that first post about the minotaur sea battle?

I know I started the Savannah Knights storyhour in fall of 2000. It was a modern game, using 3rd edition rules, that we played before 3rd edition had even come out, since we just used the stuff leaked by Eric Noah.

Then there was my Tides of Homeland storyhour, which was never quite as popular. I put that out in 2001 to '02, and then it petered off.

I started my current storyhour, set in the same world as Savannah Knights, in May of last year. I'm way behind compared to where we are in the game, but that's mostly because I'm writing it like fiction, with very few synopses.

I take pride in the fact that the Savannah Knights storyhour was the 78th thread on these messageboards when we ported over way back when.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I started Travels through the Wild West some time in the fall of 2001, although I don't have an exact date since the board changeover interrupted it. Finished it at the start of June 2003.

Then I started The Shackled City a few weeks later in June 2003; that one's about to wrap up. I'll probably start another one a month or so after that one ends.

I love to write. :D

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, Book I of Out of the Frying Pan was on the last incarnation of Eric's Board and I had just started Book II when we had to port all our threads over.

So Book I began in February 2001, not sure when Book II began, but I had to re-create the thread in January of 2002 (thread #35). I then began a reprise of Book I: Gathering Wood (inspired by Ranger Wickett's reprise of Savannah Knights (and if you look at that thread it says as much)) around the same time.

I do not know if I was third, because I think Wickett's SH was up before mine - so that would make me fourth, followed soon after by Wulf Ratbane's and Sagiro's and Old One's - but it was once of the first.

I remember being drawn to the story hour because of a thread where PirateCat described one of the PCs in his game polymorphing into a tape-worm so that another PC could swallow him and carry him through some gate or portal.

But when I began to read (cntxt)'s RTTOEE I was hooked and was certain that when my new campaign began I would do something similar.

The rest is history. . . I can't believe the campaign is over and it is nearly six years later and I am still writing it. 1037 pages, 545522 words. . . wow. . .

Under a Darksun I started around Feb 2002
Strikeforce: Morituri around Dec 03
Creation Schema was Oct 04
and for 2006 there is Pathfinders, Siberys Seven and Khyber Crawler

Late this year will be The Dragons or Dragons: Blue (undecided) which is a James Bond type done in Eberron.

TOO many ideas and too little time to do them.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I feel quite young, actually. Bitterness Overcome technically began in February of this year (2006). But it went a bit belly up due to me DMing too many games and not having time to write. But then with the board crash of May ... I decided not to reinstate one of the games I was DMing online and I didn't push to get some of the games that I was playing in to restart and that gave me free time. So I restarted posting to the thread - and haven't looked back since.

For those who are loyal readers, I lift up my hat and say thanks ... whoever you are.

For those who aren't readers, I invite you to come on over and read. You'll note that it is intentionally designed differently than most Story Hours. It is supposed to have a feel as though it were a novel. Currently it sits at the equivalent of about 50,000 words. I know that isn't much to you "old timers" who've been doing this for years. But I'm excited about it!

Also, in the beginning I debated on whether to use color coding for the text - it is an option that I love but also know that irritates others. I went with it. But, PirateCat - this is specifically for you if you are still reading: I have recently added an Sblock at the end of each post that contains the exact text without color. So please, read away! :)

Remove ads