• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General When do you overrule RAW?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't remember the episode in question, but what was the creature? Because even a tarrasque is "only" 50 foot tall.
I just watched the fight and at least when it appeared Matt did not say how tall it was. He used a mini, though, and treated it as to-scale, so it was at most 80 feet tall.

EDIT: it is only 35 feet tall. "Kaiju" indeed.

Attachments

• kaiju.png
    kaiju.png
    753.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't remember the episode in question, but what was the creature? Because even a tarrasque is "only" 50 foot tall.
I don't watch Critical Role and am going by how the OP describes what Matt did. If @Clint_L is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, the creature was kaiju sized and likely a personal creation of Matt's.

I'd do the same for spellcasters. If a spellcaster had a 1st or hell even a 3rd level spell called trip and wanted to trip Godzilla, I'd ask him what it looked like for a low level spell to trip something as massive as Godzilla. Magic has limitations, too. It's called spell level.
Unfortunately maneuver's dont have levels, and we don't have high level maneuvers. I wish old skool DM's would just be honest that non-casters are really only level 1-10 classes in their worldview.

I "liked" your post even though despite broadly agreeing, I am not sure I agree in practice that as much telegraphing is needed as you seem to suggest. Or maybe, I just like what you call "combat puzzles." Though this topic is also linked to dislike for the idea that if a player can't use any particular ability (or use it as effectively) in any given encounter (even if it is their best or favorite ability) that it is somehow unfair or "a gotcha." Not that I am saying you are saying that - but to me figuring out what works and what doesn't in any given situation (whether it be ahead of time or during the encounter or some combination) is playing the game.

I get what you're saying. I do consider telegraphing as a regular part of my duty as DM in describing a scene to the players. Telegraphing can be super subtle or even super-obvious - doesn't mean the players will connect the dots right away on obvious hints, either. I just really don't feel the need to completely hide anything from the players. And that doesn't seem to prevent the players, via their PCs, from interacting with the world and exploring and experimenting and playing the game.

I'm also of the belief that you shouldn't negate a PC's ability that has consistently worked without some kind of fair warning. Kaiju too big for Sentinel to work in your world? As DM, let the player, whose PC has mastered that Feat, know ahead of time - at our table, I prefer to do this through some kind of telegraph (e.g. when describing the monster, add one extra line of description: "This guy looks way too big to be pushed around with any ease"). Then, even if the player misses the clue, when Sentinel fails to have effect, the player can be like "Oh yeah - that's what you meant!"

A real game telegraphing example from our table: our party was facing off in a random encounter against a Yeti in the cold Greying Wildlands and it was described as thick furred and with some icicles hanging off it. As a player, I had my wizard cast Ray of Frost. Doh! Immune to Cold! Such obvious clues in retrospect but I just got caught up in the moment and made a quick decision to use my only attack cantrip. I didn't feel "gotcha'd", just reminded that I should pay more careful attention to the DM's descriptions.

Or, early in another campaign I was DMing, I had the trope-ish troll at a bridge collecting tolls. But this troll had reddish-orange skin and steam coming out of its ears when it spoke. Fire would heal this troll! Of course, the party just paid the toll and moved on so we never found out if they figured out the clues or not. A DM's best laid plans...

Last edited:

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
That's a personal thing that I have no control over, and neither do the rules. I can only speak to how I DM. What I can say is that I've met very, very few DMs who would allow a PC to grapple Godzilla successfully and just as few players who would expect that to happen, regardless of what the rules say.
and that's exactly the point and the double standard
I feel you should have to be clever to deal with something like that, precisely because it snaps my reality suspenders to just fight it like you would a gang of kobolds, using the same abilities.
martials 'have to be clever' to fight something like that (which unfortunately describes what they're reduced to in far too many circumstances when all their regular abilities fail to work), and they don't really get 'better' abilities they just get more of the same things they're already using, casters on the other hand merely have to move up to a better grade of abilities but that are technically still the same abilities they could use on those kobolds too, and it's easier to be 'clever' when you've got magic to assist you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads