• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When I'm learning a new game I like to...

When I'm learning a new game I prefer to...

• read the rules, saving the setting material for later.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • read the rules and a brief description of the setting.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • read the rules and a detailed presentation of the important people and places of the setting.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • read the rules and a detailed presentation of the setting that tells how its unique elements work.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • read the rules and fiction or other narrative material that presents the "feel" of the setting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • read the setting material (in whatever lkind of detail) and save the rules for later.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • create a character and start playing, learning the rules and setting as I go.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • do something that Chris wasn't smart enough to put in the poll. (Tell me about it below!)

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Poll closed .

Wombat

First Post
Skip back and forth between rules and setting material until I have a "good enough" notion of the game and then jump in to make a character.

Character generation is the "make or break" for me and games :D

Mercule

Adventurer
I like to learn the rules first. If the setting is pervasive enough to require special rules, then I want a brief description, otherwise, just the facts.

Like Wombat, I judge based on character creation. That's my first goal, create a character. I don't plan on playing the character, but creating one helps me understand what's happening. Sometimes, I don't even write the character down, tracking numbers in my head, but the process is still there.

Arnwyn

First Post
Rules first and foremost with a new "game" (I presume you mean "game system"). The setting is unnecessary, as I can create a homebrew.

Ferret

Explorer
I like to read the rules and the fluff. Pretty much all of it, or make a character and look up the rules from there.

if it is a game with a setting as your poll questions imply, that must interest me before I invest myself in learning a new ruleset. At least to the point of whetting my idea appetite before putting my own spin on campaigning there ( What type of modifications would I want to make setting wise etc... )

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Open up the rules, strip naked, cover myself in honey, and roll around all over the rulebook. Why isn't this an option in the poll? Surely I can't be the only one who does this?

Right guys?

Guys?

-BG

PS Also, I create a character and look through the introductory sample module. If there is no introductory sample module I become a little suspicous aobut how easy the setting lends itself to adventure.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Open up the rules, strip naked, cover myself in honey, and roll around all over the rulebook. Why isn't this an option in the poll? Surely I can't be the only one who does this?

Right guys?

Guys?

-BG

PS Also, I create a character and look through the introductory sample module. If there is no introductory sample module I become a little suspicous aobut how easy the setting lends itself to adventure.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter

Right guys?

Guys?

-BG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads