• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When I'm learning a new game I like to...

When I'm learning a new game I prefer to...

• read the rules, saving the setting material for later.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • read the rules and a brief description of the setting.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • read the rules and a detailed presentation of the important people and places of the setting.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • read the rules and a detailed presentation of the setting that tells how its unique elements work.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • read the rules and fiction or other narrative material that presents the "feel" of the setting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • read the setting material (in whatever lkind of detail) and save the rules for later.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • create a character and start playing, learning the rules and setting as I go.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • do something that Chris wasn't smart enough to put in the poll. (Tell me about it below!)

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Poll closed .

Zappo

Explorer
I like to skim all of it, trying to get a feeling for the style of the rules, without geting too much into detail. At the same time, I try to get the gist of the setting.

If it appeals, I'll read both the rules and setting in detail, while creating a character.

coyote6

Adventurer
For a combination rules-and-specific-setting game, I'd rather have a capsule description of the setting, then the rules.

For settings in general, I'd like a capsule description of the setting up front; give me the big picture before I hit the details. It gives me a handle on the setting, and lets me point players at it, so they can get the gist of the world.

One of the things that I think bugged me about Kalamar was that the book just jumped into the details.

I was about to click "Read the rules first..." and then I thought about my actual RL habits and realized that I usually just make up a character and start playing, learning the rules and the setting as we go. I promise, it isn't actually as half-assed as it sounds.

Remove ads