• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When is the FR campaign book coming out?

ki11erDM

Explorer
I know back months and months ago we all seemed to think it would be out at the same times as the big 3... but clearly that is not the case. Do we have any info on it?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I know back months and months ago we all seemed to think it would be out at the same times as the big 3... but clearly that is not the case. Do we have any info on it?

Nope. We know they aren't working on it yet, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Thaumaturge.

ki11erDM

Explorer
I thought there was a interview some place with Ed that indicated they were. Maybe I am miss remembering or it was originally miss interrupted and they clean it up later and I did not see that.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mike Mearls was asked this during one of the Forgotten Realms seminars at GenCon.

His answer is at 1:25 on The Tome Show's recording of the seminar.

Basically, they're doing a "slow reveal" of the realms through the stories, rather than rushing to do a big canonical book. They don't want to rush into it; they want to make sure they do the right thing.

There's a lot in that seminar about how they're trying to get an unreliable narrator feel back in the realms; so that what you learn about the realms is based on what characters in the realms think, not necessarily what was actually happening.

We'll probably see more character options coming out for the Realms first (apparently they have a spreadsheet of iconic character roles for the Realms) before we get the equivalent of the "Gray Box for a new generation".

Cheers!

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
We don't know that they are working in it. That's not the same as knowing that they aren't, though.

I'm aware of the difference. :)

I was referring to this post on twitter, which [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] clarified in this thread.

So they are "not working on an FRCS right now" as of a month ago.

And [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] 's Tome Show link is a good one too.

Of course, they doesn't mean they aren't working on bits of the Realms. They've clearly figured out what's happening to Anauroch, based on the Sword Coast map in HotDQ.

Thaumaturge.

Mercurius

Legend
Do we even know for certain that we'll see a grey box/white book for 5E?

The other thing to consider is that WotC has proven that the turnaround time between announcement and publication can be relatively short. The PHB was announced back in January, and was in our hands seven months later. It could be that we see something similar with the FR - an announcement in Jan-Feb, and a Gen Con release.

As an aside, given a sparser schedule I think we can expect to see the "release of the year" around GenCon. Next year that very well could be the Realms book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads