When to award XP?

When do you award XP? [When does your DM award XP?]

• Immediately after they are earned

Votes: 43 9.6%
  • End of the game session

Votes: 246 55.2%
  • When the PCs get to a minor "safe place" (secured dungeon room, camp, village)

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • When the PCs get to a major "safe place" (fortress, city)

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • End of an adventure

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • End of a story arc

Votes: 14 3.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 35 7.8%

twwombat

First Post
None of the above.

I tend to place more importance on the story than the advancement - keeping count of XP is the realm of my accountant and just ain't terribly fun for anyone involved. I don't deal with XP totals at all any more - every 5 or so sessions I declare a level-up for everyone, usually when the characters are in a moderately safe place to train and whatnot.

'Course the characters get themselves into trouble at the drop of a hat - the Sorcerer, Druid, Rogue, and Bard get bored easily when waiting for the Wizard, Cleric, and Egoist/Monk to do their things. So the Wizard gets screwed - for 4 game sessions he only had one 4th level spell available: Dimensional Anchor.

But then again, he started as a fighter, so he's got The Axe to fall back on...

Heh.
-w

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I keep track of the XP but not an exact count. I really just eyeball it.
Every so often (around a dozen encounters) I tell the party to level up at the end of the session. This has worked fine for 2 years and no one has complained.

I like the players to level up their characters while still at the session because it is fun to see how everyone chooses what to do and what to pick.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I don't.

I keep a rough tally behind the screen, but I don't share it with the players. I'd only give a number if anyone took item creation feats. Most spells that use XP componants, with the sole exception of wish etc, use up such a trifling amount that I typically don't bother with deducting anything unless they go crazy with them.

When it's appropriate, given what they've encountered, how much time has passed, and if they're at a place conducive to resting for a decent amount of time, I simply tell them to go up a level. That's worked for over three years without complain.

When I first started playing DnD I gave XP at the end of every session. But the longer I've played and the less strictly adherent to the RAW that I get, I'm more and more loose with the numbers.

DonTadow

First Post
I voted end of session but by "end of session" I mean well after end of session. I usually post the XP of the party on the website on Tuesday or Wednsday after figuring out how the session went, which can be difficult. I award points for being smart enough to run from a difficult monster just as I would defeating challenging one. I analyze the tactics used, decisions of the party no matter whatever paths they choose and the role playing.

I like posting it midweek because it keeps the campaign fresh and ongoing throughout the week .

smootrk

First Post
I give XP after the session by sending my players a Group Email with the group's earned XP. I also send individual emails out to players who may have earned special rewards for roleplay or whatever...

Lets me keep the rewards a private thing to keep any envy down to a minimum.

Edit for additional thoughts: Although I give XP per session, level-up still needs to happen out-of-dungeon in a place where additional resources, training, etc. may be acquired. We don't role-play it all, but it just makes more sense.

Last edited:

Talmun

First Post
was said:
End of the session. Thus, time taken to level up characters is not done during game time.

We had this problem until I insisted that the players bring an already leveled version of their character to any game where they might level. That way they just switch sheets when they ding.

Patman21967

First Post
I like to wait for a logical point...I have started Age of Worms, and so far I have stuck to "when they return to town" but we'll have to see how that goes in future installments. I mean, Wizards have to learn 2 new spells and such, so doing it right after an encounter, in a dungeon or the wild, doesn't make sense to me...I may try the "end of session" deal.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have awarded XP 12 times in over 4 1/2 years. . .

Only at the end of "adventures/story arcs"

I have never played in a game where it was given out every session and don't think I would want to.

Remove ads