When to award XP?

When do you award XP? [When does your DM award XP?]

• Immediately after they are earned

Votes: 43 9.6%
  • End of the game session

Votes: 246 55.2%
  • When the PCs get to a minor "safe place" (secured dungeon room, camp, village)

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • When the PCs get to a major "safe place" (fortress, city)

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • End of an adventure

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • End of a story arc

Votes: 14 3.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 35 7.8%

DonTadow

First Post
Talmun said:
We had this problem until I insisted that the players bring an already leveled version of their character to any game where they might level. That way they just switch sheets when they ding.
Another plus about giving xp outside of game is that they level outside of game too. IMC the players role play out their future plans well before they level so that they do not need downtime or town training to gain new levels and skills. The barbarian is focusing more in battle on hitting multiple people, the sorceror spends his resting time studying illusion magic partically close, the bard tries to hit higher notes ect.

The only time i require training is when the player's purchase feats and skills through the karma system I developed. http://www.chrystaria.com/akarma.htm

davidschwartznz

First Post
I voted 'end of the stroy arc'. Since I ran Grimm with it's 'level up when you feel like it' system, I don't think I'll ever count XP again. (I'm toying with some ideas on how to remove XP costs as a balance in D&D.)

When they can train. That means when they are done with the adventure, and out of danger, usually in a fortress or city.

My house rules on training to level up:
- 100 gp per week in expenses and fees. That doesn't include room & board.
- 1 week/ 2 character levels, up to max of 3 weeks. In other words, 1st to 2nd is 1 week, 100 gp. 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th is 2 weeks, 200 gp. 4th to 5th is 3 weeks, 300 gp. It caps out there.
- Characters below 5th level need a trainer. The trainer must be the same as level as they are trying to achieve, or higher, in a related class on the arcane/divine/fighter/thief divide. In other words, a ranger can train with a fighter, ranger, paladin, or barbarian. After 5th level, they can train themselves. Generally, the trainer is a "real" detailed character, usually a retired PC who is now an NPC.
- I base the 5th level cut off on 'game feel' -- a mage who can cast Fireball is a 'mage of power' to us, so he don't need no stinking training -- and on the movie "Conan the Barbarian". I figure Conan was about 5th level when they let him go from the training school. After that, he leveled up at least 2 more times (down time in the city, down time with the MU) with just practicing by himself. Works for me.
- I let PC's barter for training. Recently, they turned in a big stash of arms they didn't want to some NPC's who were trying to equip troops, in exchange for training. I've never held back a PC from leveling for lack of money, but I don't let them blow it off either -- the usual answer for a poor PC is borrowing from other PC's. I like an incentive for role-playing and for needing gp's.

Talmun

First Post
DonTadow said:
Another plus about giving xp outside of game is that they level outside of game too. IMC the players role play out their future plans well before they level so that they do not need downtime or town training to gain new levels and skills. The barbarian is focusing more in battle on hitting multiple people, the sorceror spends his resting time studying illusion magic partically close, the bard tries to hit higher notes ect.

The only time i require training is when the player's purchase feats and skills through the karma system I developed. http://www.chrystaria.com/akarma.htm

I much prefer to give awards during the session and have the PC's level as soon as they've earned enough XP. It gives the game a more dynamic, organic feel.

We use the method you refer to as well, the sorcerer who planned on taking Dragon Disciple and levels in Cleric RP'ed both of those for quite a while before actually taking the classes.

I usually award XP as it's earned, but sometimes the players have to wait. They know that if they wait too long, I'll forget who was in what encounter.

One of the best things about awarding xp as it's earned is that I never have to explain bonus xp awards for good roleplaying.

As a bonus, it adds to the video game feel we all love so much :uhoh:

Last edited:

havoclad

Explorer
Immediately. As long as the player has a levelled sheet ready to go.

I used to be gung-ho about requiring training and only giving XP during periods of serious downtime. It was just getting in the way of the story.

If the PC has enough XP to level, the player has an understandably strong desire to level the character even if it means postponing the exploration of the 2nd level of the dungeon of doom for 2 weeks. I decided its easier for me to keep the player goals and the PC goals in sync whenever possible.

There are probably players who have their PC leave their comfy inn 83 XP short of 5th level, slay two orcs on the way to the dungeon of doom and not at least think about how they have enough XP to level now.....but I haven't met them.. :)

IronWolf

blank
I award at the end of a game session. Well, I award it on the message board we use for between session communication. This lets people level up without needing to use the time we get every two weeks to actually play. It seems to be working well so far.

Steel_Wind

Legend
While it's "end of game session" for me, I actually do it between sessions via e-mail to the group.

There is no whining or lobbying for more this way. It is what it is.

Seeker95

First Post
I don't use experience points. My campaign was a series of planned events / adventure arcs. If I had three in a row that was suitable for 4th level, then the PCs stayed 4th level for all three. If I had only one suitable for 5th level, the PCs were 5th level for only that adventure. I levelled the entire party in between one arc and the next, regardless of how frequently any given player attended. After consulting with the players, we acknowledged that a PC that fell behind the party in level because of a more difficult *player* schedule was a hindrance to the other PCs. PC deaths, on the other hand, did generate a little bit of variance in level over the entire 20-level story. We finished with only two of the five PCs at 20th level, and the other three at 19, 19 and 18 respectively.

Everyone seemed to have a good time, and I had no xp calculation headaches!

Remove ads