• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When to award XP?

When do you award XP? [When does your DM award XP?]

• Immediately after they are earned

Votes: 43 9.6%
  • End of the game session

Votes: 246 55.2%
  • When the PCs get to a minor "safe place" (secured dungeon room, camp, village)

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • When the PCs get to a major "safe place" (fortress, city)

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • End of an adventure

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • End of a story arc

Votes: 14 3.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 35 7.8%

A'koss

Explorer
"Other"

I like to break an adventure down into "chapters", and since all XP is story-based, I already know how much the PCs will get. Each chapter has an objective which awards the bulk of the XP (sometimes it's just for getting to that point). Also, there are often secondary objectives - essentially a chance for the PCs to earn some bonus XP.

A'koss.

Shadowdancer

First Post
It varies. Sometimes the end of an adventure. Sometimes when they reach a major safe place. Sometimes when they reach a minor safe place if they are having a tough time with an adventure, and leveling up will increase their chances of survival.

S'mon

Legend
I occasionally give immediate awards (in PBEMs, almost always) but usually at end of session. Never less frequently than that.

Hussar

Legend
I'm in the "end of the session" camp.

I do all my gaming online now over OpenRPG. One nice feature is that I have a complete transcript of the game. I load up the transcript into Word and do a bit of a word count based on character names. That gives me a base RP xp for the session. I then multiply that number by the character level and then by a floating percentage based on how well I thought the character was played in the session. The game tends to be very low combat, so this has worked really well. Most PC's level after about 4 to 6 sessions, which is a nice progression for me. I simply post the results to the forum after each session and add in any combat awards or bonuses as I see fit.

Works really well for me. The players see their progression and, because the RP awards are not secret, they know if they should be making a little more of an effort or not. For example if Player A get's 500 xp and player B gets 300, then, usually, player B will pull me aside and ask what's going on. We work on it a bit and generally the numbers get brought back up right away. A little competition never hurts quality.

Nightcloak

First Post
Usually at the end of a game session. However, if the players are in the middle of something (combat) then it'ss wait untill the next week.

DonTadow

First Post
I wish I could wait a session or two to post XP at logical times, but my players nearly riot if I don't post items and xp by Wedsnday.

Typical Thursday EMail if i havn't sent it

"Where's the LOOT AND XP"

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I could never do XP at the end of a session because I need time to prepare the XP award in the form I hand it out in.

sample.gif

The stuff listed is stuff the PC can get without needing training (based on actions in game) otherwise any other feats/skills require training to gain/improve.

The_Universe

First Post
I'm not really consistent, either. Sometimes I let them keep a running total of XP (after every semi-discreet combat) so that they can level up throughout a running setpiece battle, and sometimes I make them wait till the end of the session, or for a reasonable "rest" time to total it all up and distribute as necessary.

It just depends on the mood and what would be the best for a particular session. :)

Remove ads