• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When to save for items?

Hi there

Can I get some clarification on when to save for items?

According to the PHB on page 150, you only need to save for items if you fail your save by rolling a natural 1, then you consult the items affected table.

Yet according to the PHB on page 136, an attended item receives a saving throw as if the character were making the saving throw.

This second clause implies that if the character fails their save then the item fails its save too. It does not mension that a critical failure is needed for the item to fail its save.

Which of these two is correct?

Tom

Wolffenjugend

First Post
An attended item gets a save refers to when someone targets your item with a spell (i.e. disintegrate).

If you roll a 1 on your save, you consult the chart, determine the item, and then make an item saving throw. If the item is "attended" (in the character's possession) it uses the character's saves.

morbiczer

First Post
The way I see it, it works this way:

The first option (items get affected when you roll a natural 1 on your saving throw) refers to a situation when the spell doesn't directly target said object.
Example: You get hit by a fireball and roll a 1. One of your items can get destroyed.

The second option (saves as character or possibly better, if it is a magic item) comes into play when a spell directly targets an object, like disintegrate.
Example: You hold a sword in your hand and your opponent tries to destroy it using disintegrate.

I guess that everyone with the fireball spell will target it at the character's item, as the character will be caught up in the area of effect anyway.

Tom

LGodamus

First Post
Tom McCafferty said:
I guess that everyone with the fireball spell will target it at the character's item, as the character will be caught up in the area of effect anyway.

Tom

It wont matter...the item can still only be damaged if the player character holding it rolls a 1 for their save, and then the item still gets a save using its own or the wielders save..whichever is better......

some spells however can specifically target an item....such as shatter .....then the character doesnt have to roll a 1 for the item to be affected....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads