When was Tharizdun demoted?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Upper_Krust said:

Why couldn't they do both!?

Possibly they might derive some power from their worshippers; however saying that a deity gains power only from their worshippers ignores some basic points (where did the "creator god" get its power from?) and seems at odd with how many people actually worship any deity from the descriptions in the Gazetteer.

Cheers!

Hi there! :)

MerricB said:
Possibly they might derive some power from their worshippers; however saying that a deity gains power only from their worshippers ignores some basic points (where did the "creator god" get its power from?) and seems at odd with how many people actually worship any deity from the descriptions in the Gazetteer.

I agree. In fact its something I have been advocating for over a year.

Beings should be able to derive power from tapping the cosmic energy that permeates the multiverse.

The first cosmic powers were born out of such cosmic energy and in creating 'lesser' beings essentially divided their power.

So Immortals can augment such power in a number of ways:

- Absorb cosmic energy directly from the planes (cosmos) itself - a very time consuming process - which explains why generally the older such beings are; the more powerful they are too.

- Siphon cosmic energy from other immortals; again a slow process. However, a quick alternative exists; by destroying them you gain a fraction (10%) of their energy - as in Highlander.

- Gain Worshippers; a fast and cheap alternative. The more worshippers the more energy you have.

So mortals seeking divine ascension will generally go the worshipper route. Whereas beings like Demons will naturally absorb cosmic energy (as plants absorb sunlight). You could also assume that they gain cosmic energy instead of experience from killing other Outsiders. That explains why they evolve into different forms (gaining experience doesn't really cover Outsider advancement)

The Traveler

First Post
The first cosmic powers were born out of such cosmic energy and in creating 'lesser' beings essentially divided their power.
Then worship is, under this system, an agreement that the god can use that individual's portion of the divine spark in proxy. Individually these divine sparks might be insignificant, but even if every person is only about 1/1000 of a god, you add up the belief of a thousand people, you get a god.

Hi there! :)

The Traveler said:
Then worship is, under this system, an agreement that the god can use that individual's portion of the divine spark in proxy.

Sort of.

Regarding cosmic origins - remember that each of us is effectively born of 'star stuff'...cosmic energy if you will.

So worship would be the transfer of this cosmic energy; or at any rate allow the deity to 'tap' the source.

The Traveler said:
Individually these divine sparks might be insignificant, but even if every person is only about 1/1000 of a god, you add up the belief of a thousand people, you get a god.

Thats it in principle but there is a lot more to it; there are variable worshipper types (clergy; lay clergy; devoted worshippers; typical worshippers; casual worship) for example. Then you have Divine Ranks; Faith factors etc.

the Jester

Legend
Cthulhu said:

*mops sweat from his squamous brow with a hanky made of human skin*

Indeed.

As far as I can tell, the power of a God of Greyhawk has no relationship to how many worshippers they have.

Gods of Greyhawk gain power from extra-dimensional energy sources; from the Oerth itself, or have it innately.

Or that's my explanation for it, anyway.

Actually, in an ancient Dragon mag EGG discusses the relationship between worshippers and deities' power, including how to factor in a worshipper's level and class (if a cleric or paladin.)

Of course, that isn't YOUR campaign, that's his- run yours as you please.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Don't worry Krusty mate. Far as I'm concerned, if it's not right, Worshipper Points supercede any jusdiction! :) Though I do like Erik explanation.

Hi Nightfall mate! :)

Nightfall said:
Don't worry Krusty mate. Far as I'm concerned, if it's not right, Worshipper Points supercede any jusdiction! :)

Appreciate the support mate! :)

Nightfall said:
Though I do like Erik explanation.

I am looking forward to Eriks (and Green Ronins) Armies of the Abyss.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Me too. Chris tells me he expects the first copies back from the printer today or tomorrow. I'm very excited.

Lots of evil coming soon.

--Erik Mona

Remove ads