• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When will 4E break?

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Sitara said:
SAadly, you are going to be very, very disapointed come June. Why?

because Tumble (renamed acrobatics) in SAGA only requires a roll vs static DC 15...at all levels to avoid AoO's. From what we gather this will be ported into 4e, ebcause the deingers want fast/flowing combat, instead of static trading blows combat.

So to ensure pc's move through combat zones, espdcially ranger type pc's, they will have acrobatics/tumble vs static dc's.Avoiding AoO's in SAGA also activates certain feats/powers (such as acrobatic strike)

While I am sure that much of 4th edition was previewed in SAGA, I think it is not a good idea to assume that just because SAGA has X, that 4th Edition will also have the exact same implementation of X.

I may be wrong, but it will take more than something also being broken in SAGA to convince me of that.

END COMMUNICATION

Stormtalon said:
It'll break properly the first time someone douses one of the books in liquid nitrogen and then tosses it off of a roof....

I wouldn´t bet on it. Paper doesn´t become that hard in Liquid nitrogen, and while it falls from the roof it is becoming warmer and it will be not much more damaged than if it was tossed from the roof without beeing doused in liquid nitrogen before.

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Scribble said:
That happened with the 4e GURPS books... (Original Printing...) highly infuriating.

It quickly got less infuriating when SJG not only quickly sent replacement books, they didn't even ask for the broken books back. Meaning that I had one copy for me and one (looseleaf :) copy to lend to players.

Imho, SJG handled that one perfectly, it actually made me like them *more*. If WotC were to handle similar problems as well, I don't think their credibility would take much of a hit. They might even gain credibility from it.

/Jonas

--Edit, clicked save too soon

Yergi

First Post
Sitara said:
SAadly, you are going to be very, very disapointed come June. Why?

because Tumble (renamed acrobatics) in SAGA only requires a roll vs static DC 15...at all levels to avoid AoO's. From what we gather this will be ported into 4e, ebcause the deingers want fast/flowing combat, instead of static trading blows combat.

So to ensure pc's move through combat zones, espdcially ranger type pc's, they will have acrobatics/tumble vs static dc's.Avoiding AoO's in SAGA also activates certain feats/powers (such as acrobatic strike)

Now I can't find the source, but I know somewhere one of the designers stated that they didn't want skill uses such as Tumble being used to avoid AoOs (now OAs I suppose) as a static DC available to everyone (since Tumble can be used untrained). He/They said skill uses such as those would be unlocked through feats/powers or removed entirely.

So maybe the disappointment won't be so big after all.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'm betting some "non-standard" party makeups will prove at least a little broken. For example, a WOTC guy already mentioned that having a paladin and fighter next to each other screwed over enemies big time (since both defenders have abilities that penalize enemies for not hitting THEM).

So if you're seeking out broken combos, try combining two defenders, two leaders, or two controllers. (Having multiple strikers is probably common enough that most of those synergies will have been largely explored in playtesting.)

HP Dreadnought

First Post
I'm pretty sure someone in my group will be able to come up with a rules-exploitation combo within 30 min of cracking the book. We're good at that sort of thing. . . but then agree not to do them. ;)

Remove ads