When Will and When Should WotC Release 4th Edition?

When Will WotC release 4th Edition and should they do so?

• WotC will release it in 2 years and should not do so.

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • WotC will release it in 2 years and should do so.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should not do so.

Votes: 71 18.6%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should do so.

Votes: 54 14.1%
  • WotC will release it in 4 year and should not do so.

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • WotC will release it in 4 years and should do so.

Votes: 66 17.3%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or more years and should not do so.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or mor years and should do so.

Votes: 97 25.4%
  • WotC should never release a 4th Edition.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 6.3%

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I voted for 2 years and should do so. I personaly hate 3.5 and think it was released about 2 years early so I am fine with 3E for 5 years (ignoring 3.5 altogether). That 2 years however would require them to start Right Now so that they will have enough playtesting time and editing time to get it right. Unfortunately I fear 3 years and another 9 month rush job of too little playtesting and editiing.

KnowTheToe

First Post
As a gamer I don't think a new version is needed until the current version is becoming dull and has nothing left to explore, when as a player I can no longer try new things, it no longer fits my needs. This can come from playing a system to death. If you play twice a day this might come ina year or two. If you play once a month, it may never come.

The other reason to come out with a new edition is if there is a groundbreaking new methodology in which you can better capture the game or your competition starts of erode your customer base with newer systems.

As a manufacturer, every 4-6 years seems about right for some type of tweaking or wholesale change. Enough to create a new rush of purchases for the new product.

William Ronald

Explorer
Time for a little analysis of the poll by the fellow silly enough to start it.:)

Of the 118 people who voted by the time I wrote this, 68 of you (57.63 percent of those surveyed) think that WotC should release a 4th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons anywhere from three to five years from now. As we move away from the three year horizon, the opposition to a new edition seems to diminish.

Any addition thoughts, especially by those who voted in the Other category? Also, here are more questions that you could answer on this thread: How should the game designers and the publisher of a 4th Edition D&D game work with their customers, the gaming community? Were you satisfied with how WotC worked with playtesters in developing 3.0 and 3.5?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
My personal feelings: 1e ran 10+ years (197x-1989), 2e ran 11 years (1989-2000)...

3e/3.5 should run about the same before releasing another edition of the game. But I dont believe it will.

I heard a nasty rumor (remember, just a RUMOR) that D&D 4e will be released sometime in 2005.

green slime

First Post
Grazzt said:
My personal feelings: 1e ran 10+ years (197x-1989), 2e ran 11 years (1989-2000)...

3e/3.5 should run about the same before releasing another edition of the game. But I dont believe it will.

I heard a nasty rumor (remember, just a RUMOR) that D&D 4e will be released sometime in 2005.

Doing that will finally kill any remaining goodwill in my book. Its getting pretty low now.

Far, far too many changes for the bad since 3e first came out...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Grazzt said:

3e/3.5 should run about the same before releasing another edition of the game.

Amen! Especially if the changes are as big as the ones they did with 2e/3e.

I was willing to buy the core books again after 2 and a half years of use (especially since my PHB was taped up and not in a good shape). I don't want to rebuy all those accesories and supplements after just 3 years. Or 5 years. I think they are meant to stay the better part of a decade.

3e came out as the new game for the new millenium. I think 4e should come out at the dawn of the new decade, not sooner.

But I dont believe it will.

I have the same fear

That's far to early.

Grazzt said:

Might I ask where you heard such a thing?

If its true (I doubt it is) they are going to shove their books where the sun don't shine (and I don't mean the dark side of the moon...)

Pseudo-Edit: Monte Cook seems to mention, in his review, that 4E will come in 3 years... maybe I'm reading it wrong...

As for the poll, I voted more than 5 years / should do so. I agree that 3E should run about 10 years before needing anothre overhaul...

TS

Ferret

Explorer
I know that 4e could be good or could be bad, but I can't think of why now, in 5 years they might have a good reason.

Remove ads