• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you give up on RPGs because you hate the system.

Mallus

Legend
I've come to the conclusion system doesn't matter (much) to me. If I like the people playing, I'm game for pretty much anything. Some observations about the various D&Ds...

5e hits a nice sweet spot between the simplicity (in practice) of the AD&D/2e I played when I was younger and the more technical later iterations like 3e/Pathfinder/4e.

4e is a system that I admire in terms of the design choices, but I don't run it very well. I liked playing it, though.

3e/Pathfinder are a bit too complex, and while they offer really robust character creation options , they also exert a lot 'pressure' that forces character creation and in-play strategies down fairly narrow paths because some things just work better. Like, a lot better. That said, I've enjoyed playing them, and ran a successful 3.5e campaign for several years, despite being the least system-masterful person in the group (by a long shot, in some cases).

AD&D/2e are the systems I find easiest to run. Prolly because they're the D&D I started with.

As for other systems, I like M&M a great deal, but haven't really run it. Ditto Champions and old-school Traveller. Savage Worlds is pretty good. FATE and it's derivatives don't really work for me and my group, despite all of our campaigns having what seems like FATE-style play.

Right now we're playing a Call of Cthulhu mystery my buddy cooked up. It's some later version of the system, but it still looks like the old %100-based Chaosium rules I remember. My impression of them is "they're fine", but also mainly irrelevant because our games are all about the characters we create, and their... ahem... flamboyant personalities.

To the OP - sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a good group. All I can say is it sure looks like more people are playing, or are curious about playing, RPGs right now (in the US). Good luck finding something you like!

Last edited:

Remove ads