When you're an "evil" person, what non-evil term do you use to describe yourself?

Steel_Wind

Legend
I drew this distinction long ago when I was running Rolemaster (a system that gives the bad guys distinct advantages by providing them unique access to "Evil Spell Lists").

The distinction is one between mere selfishness and willing submission and allegiance to an extraplanar evil power. It is a distinction with a HUGE difference.

Consider the self-assessment of a brutal self-interested human fighter (who as the local lord may fit the alignment "lawful evil") and a cleric of the same alignment.

While the fighter Lord may simply be a "traditionalist", who is "competitive", "superior" and is "born to rule by birthright" who can use all of the interesting terms and weasel word adjectives we have talked about here - there is a great difference between THAT self-assessment and the way the LE Cleric sees himself.

The cleric, unlike the fighter, is under no illusions. He knows a portion of the truth. He knows that evil is a real force in the cosmos, and that he has bound his soul to it.

Both may be lawful evil - but only one of them has willingly thrown in his lot with Evil with a capital "E".

Virel

First Post
Usually, this sends the local peasants running in fear faster than Demogorgon...

"I'm an experienced, results driven, consultant with proven track record of boosting corprate profitability thru professional management of cost cutting, downsizing, right sizing, & out sourcing. I look forward working with your senior management to positively impact your company's quarterly results"

Corprate Consultant

Midknightsun

Explorer
Sociologist

I'm testing my theory of Social Darwinism

. . . and yes, the pliers are necessary

. . . no, you don't get any anesthetic. What is that anyway?

. . . on the bright side, you'll pass out long before its over.

lobsterGun

Explorer
In my view it is an exceptional circumstance when a being in a game world has an alignment that differs from that of their race. Humans are neutral. When you meet one that radiates good or radiates evil, it sets them apart from the rest of their race. It is noteworthy. It says that they have made purposeful choices that set them apart from the rest of their species. The choices they made to achieve that status as Good or Evil come at a cost: The Good are easily taken advantage of; The Evil are loathed or feared.

So when an evil PC casts know alignment on another evil PC...they see a like minded person.

...and don't forget that good/evil is only half of the alignment issue. Just because two PCs envoy hurting others doesn't mean they see eye to eye. The Law/Chaos issue is every bit as important as Good/Evil.

Remove ads