When you're an "evil" person, what non-evil term do you use to describe yourself?

Scribble

First Post
I think also in this case you'll need to know whatt he evil person calls the good people...

I've noticed in real world political battles each side tends to spend much more time trying to make the description of the other party sound as horrible as can be.

So your evil p[erson wouldn't say everyone else is good... He'd call them bleeding hearts, or weaklings, or blind... Or anything to that nature...

Stormborn

Explorer
Driddle said:
The followup: How many DMs actually bother to put these kinds of descriptors into their PC spell feedback? ... for example, the lycanthropy-afflicted mayor is driven by an omnipresent desire to taste blood and has no compunctions about eating anything that moves, versus he's evil.

The spell isn't "what does he think of himself" the spell is "Detect [Alignement" - and that alignment, in a DnD world, is based on absolute standards set by the powers that grant the spells. Evil is a yes or no question in DnD fantasy, unlike in our world where it often (but not always) is not.

Having said that, I dislike those kinds of spells and that kind of binary morality. Therefore in my games I tend to make clear that what a paladin gets when he uses "detect evil" is based on the standards of his beliefs. In my games most people in the world are neutral and its only the baby-eating hatemongering demon worshippers that really show up as "evil."

Halivar

First Post
The term my evil guy would use?

"I am INVINCIBLE!!!!"

I mean, really; does a busy, world-dominating dark overlord really have the time to sit around, introspectively justifying his actions with clever euphemisms? That kind of weakness belongs to villainous female sidekicks (who, though evil and sadistic, have a soft spot for good-looking heroes and fluffy kittens, and will readily betray their dark master for the sake of "true love." PSHAW!!).

vongarr

First Post

[Moderator's Notes: Politics are forbidden, even in the context of one-line jokes. Thanks for the understanding!] --Pielorinho

Last edited by a moderator:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, Evil folks often think of themselves as brave, strong, efficient, intelligent, pragmatic, and generally special.

Brave: "You do not dare to grasp at this kind of power! I will conquer where angels fear to tread!"

Strong: "Your 'ethics' are just an excuse for covering your own weakness. If you could take power, you would. But you can't, so you try to stop anyone not similarly limited. The 'Good' are always the enemy of the great!"

Efficient: "Why would I want the input of my workers? I'm the one with the vision. Bickering would just get in the way of the most important thing: my work. Free will is a luxury they just can't afford."

Intelligent: "Oppressing the peasants? I'd much rather phrase it, 'keeping the fools alive'. Do you know how dangerous it is outside this village? My power is the only thing that keeps the monsters away. And I'll be damned if I allow one of these fools to endanger what I've built here."

Pragmatic: "Sacrifice one girl, so the rest of the town may live? Sounds like a net win to me. I'll have my lizard talk to your lizard."

Cheers, -- N

JDJblatherings

First Post
Evil folks in D&D should typically think they are in fact EVIL. They don't mind being evil, the gods of evil say it's cool. The most cunning, ruthless, effective EVIL guys get to reign alongside or just below the Evil bosses.

Halivar

First Post
Nifft said:
"I'll have my lizard talk to your lizard."
Nifft wins. :lol:

JDJblatherings said:
They don't mind being evil, the gods of evil say it's cool.
I always liked the idea that neutral people, being by definition not-good, are the evil folks who don't know what they're capable of. They live in a society that holds their evil natures in check. Studies show that the average person, for instance, is capable of breaking the law if they know for certain there will be no repercussions whatsoever.

The Evil axis is for the people who fully understand what they're about. Chaotic-evil's aren't just self-seeking bastards like the CN folks; they want the world to burn. Lawful-evil's aren't just culling out the weak for the greater good of society like LN folks; they want to torture and exterminate everyone who isn't like them.

Last edited:

Remove ads