D&D (2024) Where are the real previews?

So. The last we heard, the game will still be in the design phase up until May. So when can we expect the first real previews?
Are there any conventions in mid May or early June, where rules previews might be shown?
I am really starved for content.

I would also not mind a last playtest for the DMG or the MM until then.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Real previews will probably start at Origins 2024 in June and/or GenCon 2024 in August I would imagine.

And I don't think we will see any more playtests myself, as there's probably little "new" stuff being added that they need our opinions of whether we like it or not. The Bastions might very well be the only "new" thing added to the DMG, everything else is just clean up, reorganization and numbers balance... for which they do not ask our opinions on. They have internal alpha playtest groups that do all the number crunching work.

I could be wrong... maybe we'll get a DMG playtest some time in May or June for some thing or other... but I just can't think of something offhand that they would require our opinions on whether we "liked" it or not.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So. The last we heard, the game will still be in the design phase up until May. So when can we expect the first real previews?
Are there any conventions in mid May or early June, where rules previews might be shown?
I am really starved for content.

Given we didn't get real previews (only an unofficial and very much not-to-plan leak) of 5.0 until IIRC a couple of months before publication? Don't hold your breath. If the playtest is still ongoing through the end of May, we won't see previews until July at the earliest.

grimmgoose

Explorer
They've been talkin' up that DMG a lot, but have been very sparse on details. If the "Bastion" system is the best they've got, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm assuming we won't get an MM playtest as I imagine it'll use the same theory behind Monsters of the Multiverse (but I hope I'm proven wrong on this).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
From a marketing standpoint, putting something out in the channel to balance out things like the company president resigning would be good, even if it's something smaller like the non-backer previews Tales of the Valiant is doing.

"Here's a preview of the new version of Heroes' Feast. Here's what our 2024 halflings look like. Here's a new, more robust low level orc stat block. Here's an all-new magic item filling a low level common item gap in the DMG."

I am not holding my breath, though.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
"Here's a preview of the new version of Heroes' Feast. Here's what our 2024 halflings look like. Here's a new, more robust low level orc stat block. Here's an all-new magic item filling a low level common item gap in the DMG."
I think this would definitely be a start. WotC has people actually in marketing for them, so I have no idea why we aren't seeing something like a countdown each week. We could have articles like this, and people who play the game and are in the media doing quick "happy birthday" videos. There's so much to do and I think it's really squandering an opportunity that won't come along again for a long time.

Marc Radle

Legend
From a marketing standpoint, putting something out in the channel to balance out things like the company president resigning would be good, even if it's something smaller like the non-backer previews Tales of the Valiant is doing.

Kobold Press is EXTREMELY excited about Tales of the Valiant!

We can’t help it - we rally want everyone to see what’s in the game!! :)

Remove ads