• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where are you buying Mordenkainen's Magnificient Emporium?

Where are you purchasing Mordenkainen's Magnificient Emporium?

• FLGS all the way, baby!

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • Other hobby/comic brick and mortar store

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Online retailer (incl. game stores, Ebay shops, game stores via Amazon marketplace, etc)

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Other (wait for used, trade, Ebay, etc - explain in response)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Not buying it - if it isn't on Amazon or B&N, I won't get it

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Not buying it - I lke 4E, but this doesn't interest me or don't have the money

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • What's the deal with blue cheese? Is it really fungus?

Votes: 7 8.3%

malraux

First Post
A better way of putting it: I thought MME was only being released through the non-mass market distributers who sell primarily to B&M stores.

Has anyone in Germany been able to buy MME here?

My favorite online retailers (one of which is a B&M store running Encounters) don't have it yet, and they haven't received any copies of the Neverwinter CS, either. :confused:

babinro

First Post
LoL, so you like the products before it a lot but if you actually have to pay full price for a standard game book you won't?

I wanted it, and I bought it from an FLGS. If you don't want it, don't buy it but claiming that you want it but won't pay MSRP for a book is, well .... I'll leave it at that.

What's funny to you makes perfect sense to me.

There are plenty of video games I'd like to buy but cannot justify spending $60.00 on. As such, I won't buy them at all or I'll wait until they are a more affordable $20.00.

It isn't that I can't afford to pay $10.00 more for the book either. It's just that I don't perceive the book being good enough to be worth $10.00 more than I've paid for every other 4E book I bought.

King_Mushi

First Post
I took the gamble with CCG Armory, which had mixed reviews for reliability. Online for $19.25, total ~$26.50 with standard shipping. Had no problems with order or delivery.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I never buy anything when it first comes out. I really don't see the advantage of being the first person on your block to own something new. I know a few people who actually spent $500.00 to purchase a Playstation 3 from Ebay when they first came out. Okay I bought mine for $400.00 less about a year and a half later when I saw someone on Craig's list who was selling their's.

If you wait long enough you will eventually find things cheaper. I don't know what the obsession is with having to be the first group of people to own something that just came out.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, there's no real need to be the first. I do the same with technology. I still don't own a PS3 or X-Box because at this point I don't care. Just late last year I moved up to the big, flat screen and Blu-ray. There's a difference between being a cheap bugger and patient though. If you want something right away, pay the price don't complain about paying more because discounter X doesn't carry it. Especially for a book.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Yeah, there's no real need to be the first. I do the same with technology. I still don't own a PS3 or X-Box because at this point I don't care. Just late last year I moved up to the big, flat screen and Blu-ray. There's a difference between being a cheap bugger and patient though. If you want something right away, pay the price don't complain about paying more because discounter X doesn't carry it. Especially for a book.

Well with regards to technology it's not good to buy something new when it first comes out because there is a high chance that it will be bug ridden. If you wait long enough most of the bugs will be worked out and you will in turn get a better product at a cheaper price.

When it comes to books if there is a book that I can get for $10.00 cheaper then I will wait. Now if we are talking two or three dollars then I will just go ahead and buy it now.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
While I appreciate the initiative to save B&M FLGS's, it's too little too late for me. There haven't been any in business near me for years (yes I supported them when they were around) and I just can't justify spending so much on gaming books now that I'm used to discounts from Amazon, especially if the content will be on DDI.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
While I appreciate the initiative to save B&M FLGS's, it's too little too late for me. There haven't been any in business near me for years (yes I supported them when they were around) and I just can't justify spending so much on gaming books now that I'm used to discounts from Amazon, especially if the content will be on DDI.
This is why we're seeing this emphasis on organized play programs - FLGSes can do something that Amazon and other deep discount retailers cannot - providing a service.

You can't log in to Amazon to play Encounters or Lair Assault; you won't find a chapter of the Pathfinder society meeting in Hel*mart; you can't pop by Chapters or B&N for a LFR game.

For these things you go to a B&M FLGS, and even if the prices are higher, maybe you had a really good time there, and you want to continue to do so, so you drop a couple bills on books, maybe grab a bag of dice, some minis, or cards, heck grab a couple M:tG boosters (if you're into that) and spend some time browsing. Heck, even if you *don't* buy the books, everyone likes dice, and we all know you *can't* have too many. :)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
This is why we're seeing this emphasis on organized play programs - FLGSes can do something that Amazon and other deep discount retailers cannot - providing a service.

You can't log in to Amazon to play Encounters or Lair Assault; you won't find a chapter of the Pathfinder society meeting in Hel*mart; you can't pop by Chapters or B&N for a LFR game.

For these things you go to a B&M FLGS, and even if the prices are higher, maybe you had a really good time there, and you want to continue to do so, so you drop a couple bills on books, maybe grab a bag of dice, some minis, or cards, heck grab a couple M:tG boosters (if you're into that) and spend some time browsing. Heck, even if you *don't* buy the books, everyone likes dice, and we all know you *can't* have too many. :)

I'm not interested in organized play. I think it's a good thing for the hobby, but it's not for me, so it doesn't figure into any decisions I make. I can see how it would add value for their customers.

Browsing is fun, and I would probably make an impulse buy or two if an FLGS was nearby (I usually call my wife and say "Honey, I failed my saving throw..." and she knows I bought something). And I do see the value of physically looking at a book before buying it. But even if a great gaming shop were to open nearby, I wouldn't pay full retail most of the time because it would financially irresponsible for me to do so.

FLGS's are great; used to hang out at one all the time; but price is the issue, starting with the gas and time it takes to get to one, but mostly with the price of retail vs deeply discounted online purchases. I didn't always used to think that way, but with a mortgage, two kids, and the price of everything going up, I have to be realistic and responsible with everything I buy.

And since I recently re-subscribed to DDI, I have even less incentive.

Remove ads