• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did the roll eyes smiley go?

Olive

Explorer
I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this, so I was wondering why we got rid of roll eyes?

Was it because it was used to be rude to other posters?

Michael Morris

First Post
He was being used almost exclusively to punctuate rude or sarcastic comments, and the mods decided to kill him. Soon after I begged Russ to allow some 5 smileys take his place to bring our smiley count to an even 15. It is unlikely to change from this point.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Really? I almost exclusively saw it being used to self-depricate, or I guess to pass simple comment on WotC editing screw ups.

I miss him. :(

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Because, you see, if you're going to be rude to other posters, or indicate a lack of respect for their ideas, you should do it though overt insults, more subtle patronizing dismissals, selective quoting or misrepresenting their arguments in your own terms to make them look bad. But never by rolling your eyes as a general indicator of emotion before going into your counterargument. Frankly I'd rather see a civil argument structure more activly pursued here than worry about people using a particular emoticon. There's been no increase in civility or respect since its removal, unfortunately. :\ If anything, the opposite, though that impression may be due to the hard work of certain individual posters lately... :(

Kahuna Burger

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kahuna Burger said:
Because, you see, if you're going to be rude to other posters, or indicate a lack of respect for their ideas, you should do it though overt insults...

Frankly, yes.

Overt insults have the advantage that they're - obviously - overt, and when we're aware of the problem it can easily addressed by moderation. Use of the aforementioned smiley lets you be rude another person but not really insult them, ha ha, it's just a smiley, see? I have no patience for that, and I have no interest in making it easier for people to be rude.

We're not a debate forum, we've got almost ten thousand active members, and our existence is predicated on common sense rules and self-moderation by the members. Given this, some people will always rub other people the wrong way, even when they're not breaking board guidelines and not intending to be offensive. That's when the "ignore" feature can be put to good use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads