Did the Ads Recently Change on this Site (New Pop Ups)

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm really hoping the bottom banner goes away, but I can live with it. The video ad that keeps popping up in the bottom right corner . . . that is driving me up the wall. I access the site on computer using Chrome. When I'm at home using my big monitor, it bothers me less. When I'm at work on my laptop, it is infuriating and gets in the way.

I agree with @jgsugden, when I visit a site new to me, and it has ads like this . . . I nope right out of there and don't go back. I've been a long-time community member here and I won't be leaving ENWorld anytime soon, but I do also worry about potential new users.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Opinions can differ. However, it was notable enough for many people to come here and generate the longest thread we've seen in a long time on the Met Forum - and in record time. This is clearly significant to many people, whether you think it is a "shrug" or not.

That wasn't just about the bottom banner, however; notice how much of it is about the video popups, which are far more intrusive, and actually overlap with the functional part of the screen. So I think suggesting the primary and major part is the bottom banner is projecting more than a bit.

jgsugden

Legend
That wasn't just about the bottom banner, however; notice how much of it is about the video popups, which are far more intrusive, and actually overlap with the functional part of the screen. So I think suggesting the primary and major part is the bottom banner is projecting more than a bit.
I think you're misreading slightly - all of it, including the bottom banner - is the part giving offense and that looks cheap and click-bait. The bottom banner is not the worst offender, but is offensive enough on its own.

Dire Bare

Legend
Dude, please don't tell others what we find irritating. Some of us are bothered by the bottom banner AND the video pop-up ad. You aren't. Great.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Dude, please don't tell others what we find irritating. Some of us are bothered by the bottom banner AND the video pop-up ad. You aren't. Great.

And the poster I responded to was talking about specifically the bottom banner and acting like that was everyone was talking about. So I'd say he's doing just what you accuse me of.

Last edited:

Jaeger

That someone better
I'd rather pay a few $ a month than deal with this amount of ads

I guess that's what they are hoping for.

I used to go to the autosport F1 forums all the time to talk about racing.

Now only once every few months, if that... Why?

They added a persistent bottom banner ad that you had to click off with every new page. Just too annoying for words.

And I still get the pop-up and bottom banner ad on every new page here.

So yeah, my engagement will wane.

Not like I have a huge post count compared to some, so I guess they'll chalk it up to no big loss if they get sufficient members signing up to avoid the annoying ads.

The trouble is: I'm not against the idea of financially contributing to a site that I visit regularly. And getting rid of advertising (without an adblocker) is certainly another incentive to do so. But given that ENworld's supporter levels start at $5, at least for me personally that doesn't really line up well with how much I use the site and how much I pay for similar things at other sites.
Now I guess Morrus has run some estimates and in the end it works out better the way it is, but it still feels a bit unfortunate.

Remove ads