Malicious add pop-up while visiting the site

Olrox17

Hero
It happened 3 times today. While visiting the forums on mobile, I got one of those "congratulations! You won something!" ads, with a pop up blocking my entire screen, redirecting me to a scam site if I touched the pop up in any way.

Never happened to me on Enworld before, so I thought I'd let you know.

Olrox17

Hero
It keeps happening. This is hampering my ability to browse the site from mobile.
The ad tries to send me to scam sites such as luckymobilevisitors.club

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anybody else having this happen? I can’t replicate it or find anything that might be causing it. It maybe malware on your device?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm on mobile and am not getting any pop-up ads - not on EnWorld nor any other site I frequent.

Olrox17

Hero
Yeah, @Olrox17 it definitely sounds like something at your end.
Allright, I'll try to solve any potential issue on my mobile device's end.

Just a couple more pieces of info:
  • this problem seems to happen to me only while using Enworld. I've tried several other forums, mainstream sites, news sites and more. Only getting the problem here, and quite reliably.
  • I'm an italian user, the malicious ad is also correctly localized in italian. Maybe certain ads are targeted to people in certain geographical locations, and that's why people from the US aren't getting the same annoying ad. Dunno, I'm not really an expert on the subject.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
Does the same thing happen on your home computer, or any other device; or just your mobile?
Only on mobile apparently. Today I'm doing a backup and full reset of the device. If that solves the problem, it must be some kind of weird malware that only activates on Enworld somehow :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads