Where did these monsters appear?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Voadam said:
Wasn't the urd in the 1e FF or MMII? Are they the blue winged kobolds?

they are the blue-winged kobolds, but oddly enough they did not appear in either of those books (as far as I can tell).

cildarith said:
Fachan: Dragon #89 September 1984 (Creature Catalog I)
Orius said:
Fachans appeared in both the Celts historical suppliment, and in the Savage Coast CS, but I believe there were some fairly significant differences between the two versions.

as far as I know, these were all different versions than the FR version of the fachan, but I will check. :) thanks!

diaglo said:
the oil beetle was from the Monster & Treasure Assortment. i'll have to check which lvls.

thank you.

the Jester said:
Verbeegs also appeared in S4 (we're playing that one right now in omrob's campaign!)

excellent! :) I suspected that they were in an earlier module before the MM2.

diaglo said:
and UK7 Dark Clouds Gather

verbeegs? Really?

rogueattorney

Adventurer
The Thoul (perhaps my favorite monster) first appeared as a typo in one of the original books' Wandering Monster tables - it was supposed to be a ghoul. I believe it also appeared unstatted in one of the Monster & Treasure Assortments, but I could be wrong on that.

One of the guys at TSR (Gary Gygax? Tom Moldvay?) thought it was a good name for a monster and statted it up for his games. They made their first appearance in the 1981 Basic Book as a creature that looked just like a hobgoblin, but had some of the powers of ghouls and trolls. They were in each of the main BD&D rule books from then on. The 2e version of the monster was in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium.

Gary Gygax did a 3e version of the thoul (slightly re-named to tr'oul) in his Slayers Guide to the Undead. This version doesn't have the hobgoblin element and is basically a troll/ghoul combo.

R.A.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
cool, thanks. :) i did find both the oil beetle and thoul in these sources (and i'm sure they're in others - haven't checked the Rules Cyclopedia yet):

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, 1981)
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (revised by Frank Mentzer), 1983)

the Jester said:
Verbeegs also appeared in S4 (we're playing that one right now in omrob's campaign!)
diaglo said:
and UK7 Dark Clouds Gather

sorry fellas, i didn't see verbeegs in either of those modules.

jrients

First Post
the Jester said:

I've often thought that you could build a heck of a campaign world with just the monster booklet from that module. Or imagine using only the original Fiend Folio or MMII for your campaign. There are so many monsters available to be used that campaign worlds are shaped as much by omission as by inclusion.

diaglo

Adventurer
BOZ said:
sorry fellas, i didn't see verbeegs in either of those modules.

i'm almost certain the verbeeg was in UK7. which came after MM2 1983 i'm sure. so that doesn't change the fact that it was in the MM2 first.

from the Greyhawk Monsters thread: UK7 Dark Clouds Gather: Ba'atun, Soul Beckoner, Spriggans, Ildriss, Flying Owlbears, Ice Para-Elemental, Verbeeg

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, in what context was it in there? random encounter? i'm really only looking to see the full stat blocks and descriptions, you know Monster Manual style (unless a creature's first appearance was only a paragraph or two or something like that).

Remove ads