• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did these monsters appear?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I believe that the Fachan also made an appearance in All the World's Monsters by Chaosium, in the murky mists of time (Around 1977 or so...)

The Auld Grump

diaglo

Adventurer
BOZ said:
urds fly, xvarts don't. ;)

only when the hit the phan.

so maybe they were in white dwarf first. i can't check. my white dwarf collection went to the recycle center back at my elderly parents house. :(

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, before this goes on forever... here are the sources of which i know the stats and full descriptions (i.e., monster manual style, not merely planned or random encounters) for these critters are:

Fachan (Forgotten Realms version):
Monstrous Compendium MC11 - Forgotten Realms Appendix II (1991, David “Zeb” Cook)
(other versions of fachan in other sources)

Giant-kin, Verbeeg:
Monster Manual II (1983)
Monstrous Compendium MC2 (1989)
Monstrous Manual (1993)

Oil Beetle:
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, 1981)
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (revised by Frank Mentzer), 1983)
AC9 - Creature Catalogue (1986)
Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (1991)

Thoul:
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, 1981)
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (revised by Frank Mentzer), 1983)
Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (1991)
Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994)

Urd:
Monstrous Compendium MC2 (1989)
Monstrous Manual (1993)

Verme:
Monster Manual II (1983, Gary Gygax)
Monstrous Compendium Annual Two (1995)

if you know of any additional sources beyond these, i will add them, if not i'm going with just what i have here. :)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I looked in my books and you are correct, Urds are not in the 1e FF, MM and not even in th Greyhawk Adventures the hardcover.

Remove ads