• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do you buy books?

How do you purchase your gaming supplies?

• Mostly online

Votes: 67 57.8%
  • Mostly from my local store

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Purchase online and locally in equal measure

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I don't really buy anything. Ever.

Votes: 4 3.4%

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
This is actually a two fold question. First off I wondered what proportion of gamers that use EN World purchase from an actual game store and what go online for the cheaper options?

Secondly Bill Slavisec (Think I spelt that correctly) recently spoke about getting the novels on sale for use with ereaders/ipods etc. and I was wondering which stores one could buy these from as from today and do we know which stores these would be available from in the future.

For the record, in the past I have purchased the vast majority of my books online but one of my new years resolutions is to support my local store so I am now purchasing there even though it is more expensive and 50 miles away.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Since 4e I've bought most of my stuff online (amazon mostly, also paizo) both for cost reasons and because even the few local gaming stores don't seem to carry the stuff I want.

JeffB

Legend
I voted "mostly", but truth be told its ALL online for the past 5-6 years. Whether its 4E or OSR D&D stuff. err..well..actually I bought ONE 4E book (FRCS) in a bookstore because I was away from home for 2 weeks and in desparate need of something new to read after a couple days :D

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Almost all online. I buy from a local store when I can, but bluntly, there's only so far that I'm willing to drive to pay more for a product in the first place. Raleigh hasn't really had a local game store for a while... But fortunately, a new one just opened this weekend. I plan to start buying from them instead of amazon.com.

I buy mostly online. Price pays a big part. At the current AUD/USD exchange rate buying the books online is quite a bit cheaper than buying them locally here in Australia, even after paying for shipping.

Range of items is another big one for me. A lot of the stuff I'm buying my FLGS simply doesn't stock.

Additionally, apart from the LoF Pathfinder AP and some recent Paranoia releases, all of my RPG purchases in the last year or so have been from online clearance sales. I bought the entire XCrawl line for $2 a book and several other Green Ronin hardcovers for $5 a book. You generally can't get sales like that at my FLGS.

It also doesn't help that I don't play 4E or any WW games, which takes up 90% of the shelf space for RPG's in the store.

I still go in to my FLGS on a regular basis, and they guys that run the shop are good guys. It just doesn't have what I'm after at the price I'm after though (which is ok, since they are still doing very well with their current range of products).

Olaf the Stout

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
The more obscure gaming stuff I have bought recently, such as Brute Squad or Burning Wheel I have bought online. The WotC hardbacks I have I have bought locally.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I buy mine mostly at Barnes & Noble (D&D) or my FLGS (Shadowrun, Exalted, everything else).

This is partly because they're a bit more convenient than ordering online, as I have a B&N by my work and my apartment. The B&N at work is especially nice, I can read the new book on my way home.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads