Pathfinder 1E Where does Pathfinder go from here?

I'm excited for Occult Adventures but I doubt it'll see any use at my table with a good dozen classes already out that haven't been used and multiple books that have barely been touched. Still, it's a much better idea for an expansion that the Advanced Class Guide.
(I have suspicions the ACG was really released to contrast with the rules lite nature of 5e, and appeal to the optimizers and character builders in the hobby.)
I don't know where Paizo will take the RPG for 2016 and beyond. My first thought is "Pathfinder Revised", but that might push people to 5e, so Paizo will likely want to hold off on a new edition until the full impact of 5e is known. There's enough content and narrative room for a few good hardcovers still. And Paizo itself has a lot of brand loyalty, so they might be able to hold onto their fanbase for some time, or even keep much of their audience after a game revision. Paizo is a smaller company than WotC and can make do with far smaller numbers of sales, especially if they're content being the #2 or #3 name in the buisness.

Paizo will likely continue what they started this year and segue into more big Campaign Setting books. We have Inner Sea Gods this year and Inner Sea Races in 2015, which appeal to people even if they're using Golarion with Pathfinder or 5e or FATE. So I imagine Paizo will continue to focus on the campaign setting and Adventure Paths first and foremost.

There's no way Paizo will switch to 5e. They were burned multiple times for being dependant on other companies and IP, so they very much want to remain independent, rather than tying the continued health of their company to the whims of WotC. At worst, I can see them phasing out the RPG and making their APs and world content edition neutral, perhaps having the crunch as separate PDFs, reducing the amount of new monsters in the adventures, or providing conversion guides for 5e.
This will still be hard as there's a LOT of people tied to the rules publishing business right now, so Paizo will either have to diversify and find those people jobs working on different brands or products than the RPG or have some layoffs.

(I have suspicions the ACG was really released to contrast with the rules lite nature of 5e, and appeal to the optimizers and character builders in the hobby.)
I suspect that their organized play strategy may have something to do with the way rules are approached in game too.

Although I also suspect that they're just catering to that niche to some degree, as you say. Then again, sometimes I wonder how much those niches overlap.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Campaign setting supplements are now starting to repeat themselves (another Osirion book? What's wrong with the older Osirion book?)

The two books are actually from different product lines.

Osirion, Land of Pharaohs, is a Player Companion book we published in 2008 (six years ago). It is 32 pages with a focus on player character rules (although in fairness this one had more world detail than most player companions). It's also out of print.

Osirion, Legacy of Pharaohs, is a Campaign Setting book we published in 2014. It is a 64-page gazetteer of the nation, primarily geared toward Game Masters. It's also designed to work with 2014's Mummy's Mask Adventure Path, which is set in Osirion. We couldn't send people to a 6-year-old out of print book for more information on the setting of that campaign, so we decided to revisit the nation in this format, with a slightly different editorial focus.

There are still more than 20 nations in the Inner Sea Region we have never spotlighted as the focus for a book of any kind.

We'll be fine. :)

Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Inc.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I am grateful to Pathfinder for getting me through the Dark Times, and I love Paizo like whoa. But I'll be completely honest here: when I actually broke down and started playing around with 5E, I felt a profound wave of relief. I am so burnt out on the 3.x engine, and the past couple of years of Pathfinder have not helped. I've been using Hero Labs, and even with that the piles and piles of options, traits, class archetypes, and ALL the modifiers... I can't take it any more. I eventually tried to get my group to switch to Savage Worlds, just to get away from it.

That said, I still believe that Paizo makes great adventures. I'm not a fan of the APs (even back from the Dungeon magazine days), but I love their stand-alones. So what would be my wish? Obviously, for Paizo to make 5E adventures. The Pathfinder stuff has a distinctly "Pathfindery" flavor– a 5E series that skewed more towards "classic D&D flavor" would be my dream product.

They may not be able to, depending on the 5E licensing scheme; they may not want to, as it puts them back into a semi-dependent position on WotC. But I can wish. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

Bugleyman

First Post
That said, I still believe that Paizo makes great adventures. I'm not a fan of the APs (even back from the Dungeon magazine days), but I love their stand-alones. So what would be my wish? Obviously, for Paizo to make 5E adventures. The Pathfinder stuff has a distinctly "Pathfindery" flavor– a 5E series that skewed more towards "classic D&D flavor" would be my dream product.

That would be amazing, but like you, I'm not holding my breath. And I certainly can't blame Paizo after the fiasco that was the original GSL.

The only product they have in the pipeline that I may buy is Unchained, and even that is a "wait and see" thing for me. What would really renew my interest is if they published some alternate rules for playing it as a classless system.

I would switch to one of the classless systems out there in a heartbeat if I could find enough players who weren't so hung up on playing Pathfinder to the exclusion of all else.

Hannerdyn

Explorer
I am so burnt out on the 3.x engine, and the past couple of years of Pathfinder have not helped. I've been using Hero Labs, and even with that the piles and piles of options, traits, class archetypes, and ALL the modifiers... I can't take it any more. I eventually tried to get my group to switch to Savage Worlds, just to get away from it.

I think this will be a large factor in the decision for many to switch back to D&D from Pathfinder. I think Paizo knows this and I think they are going to work on a new edition.

As someone who really likes what WOTC has in 5E, I hope for the sake of the game that Paizo continues to be serious competition for the 'heart and soul' of D&D. Competition can only be good for the game, and I think it could be argued that Paizo's competition with WOTC over the last several years has given us an excellent new direction for D&D in 5E.

Paizo can leverage it's strengths; the d20 system licencing, the huge number of quality models and books for the PF system, the flexibility of the system, the 'one book is all you need to play' ideal. If they could come up with a way to convert the system to something that requires less bookkeeping but still allows them to leverage older books, they would be golden. It may be what they are planning in Pathfinder unchained, but I think they would be smart to make that their capstone book and start working on a new edition.

They would be less likely to compete if they just came out with a new, incompatible version of D&D. I don't think that plays to their strengths well enough.

Razuur

First Post
I am grateful to Pathfinder for getting me through the Dark Times, and I love Paizo like whoa. But I'll be completely honest here: when I actually broke down and started playing around with 5E, I felt a profound wave of relief. I am so burnt out on the 3.x engine, and the past couple of years of Pathfinder have not helped. ...

-The Gneech :cool:

I will continue to support both companies. I lean more towards 5e in style, and don't think conversion is that difficult. I still use my Pathfinder stuff with 5e and have no real problems. Maybe I just ran pathfinder like 5e - all hand wavey.

Dunno. I want both to suceed and will continue to buy products that inspire and interest me - no matter the company.

That said - what should Paizo focus on. I have a very clear answer...

Castrovel! Castrovel! Castrovel!

and then

Ahkiton! Akhiton! Akhiton!

Or maybe a big hardcover for each (or combining both? Upside down on each side?) Make it so... please. Pretty please?

:)

ET

I am grateful to Pathfinder for getting me through the Dark Times, and I love Paizo like whoa. But I'll be completely honest here: when I actually broke down and started playing around with 5E, I felt a profound wave of relief. I am so burnt out on the 3.x engine, and the past couple of years of Pathfinder have not helped. I've been using Hero Labs, and even with that the piles and piles of options, traits, class archetypes, and ALL the modifiers... I can't take it any more. I eventually tried to get my group to switch to Savage Worlds, just to get away from it.
I agree, wholeheartedly.

Remove ads