Where does your TREK take you?

EvilPheemy

First Post
Since this year is the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, I'm starting up a campaign of my own in the Final Frontier. Which has me curious.. What era and region are your Star Treks happening in? Where does your voyage take you?My campaign is set between the end of TOS and the beginning of TNG. 10 years after the events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The characters will be Junior Officers and Enlisted Crew on board the USS Horizonte NCC-1542, a Constellation Class cruiser exploring beyond the Federation frontier into the Alpha Quadrant (the Quadrant that contains Bajor and the Cardassian Union).In the past I've run campaigns set after Star Trek: Nemesis out beyond charted space, and a Klingon Campaign set just after the V'ger Incident, and a very interesting Triangle Campaign where the characters of multiple species crewed a tramp freighter smuggling cargo between the Romulans, Klingons and Federation (with the Orion Syndicate providing "guidance")

khantroll

Explorer
My Star Trek game started on Orion, and stayed in the Neutral Zone area for a while, before heading out to the Taurus Reach (like the EU authors, I saw it as a less defined place where I could draw on multiple sources/times).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always like the just post-TOS era. Enterprise-A in service, a couple of Excelsior class ships out there, Klingons still,one bad guys, despite Khitomer.

I prefer the aesthetics of that era in almost every way. The ships, the uniforms, the general feel.

aramis erak

Legend
Most of my trek games have been (evenly split) (1) TOS-era to TOS movie era, set on the klingon border, or (2) SFU Y 165-172 Fed-Klingon border near thre Kzinti border.

edemaitre

Explorer
I've played and run Star Trek games in the original series era (FASA, including the first movies), the Next Generation/Deep Space Nine/Voyager era (GURPS 3e), and most recently, in the period of Star Trek Online, almost a century after Next Gen.

https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/wikis/star-trek-restoration-notes

Our recent (D20/FATE) "episodes" have involved Klingons, Romulans, and Ferengi; the Prime Directive; and a derelict starship....

https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-1
https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-2
https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-3
https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-4
https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-5
https://vortex.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/star-trek-restoration-episode-6

Good luck with your own voyages, and live long and prosper....

Last edited:

fredlove

First Post
My current campaign is set in 2380, just after the events of Star Trek Nemesis. We all know about the weaknesses of that movie, but I find that it sets up a really interesting political situation with most of the Romulan Senate dead after a failed Reman coup. So the crew started out as junior officers aboard an aging Excelsior-class vessel supplying Federation outposts along the Romulan Neutral Zone, and they've since uncovered a Tal Shiar plot to reclaim systems in the Neutral Zone and in Federation space that contain ancient Iconian artifacts.

I've sprinkled in some more traditional sci-fi exploration sidequests, but the campaign is heavy on politics and intrigue. Sorta going for a DS9 flavor but set on a starship.

We just finished our 10th session last night, which saw the PCs attempting to infiltrate Remus on a covert mission for Starfleet Intelligence. We've been having a lot of fun so far...

Celebrim

Legend
If I was to run a Star Trek game, I'd probably toss out much of what is considered canon (including time travel), and run a game based mainly around the original series plus some of the SFB canon.

I'd prefer a setting in either the roughly TOS era or else the earlier era explored by Enterprise, but tossing out the entire series as rather useless. I might even consider doing an alternate universe where the Enterprise was lost in space, and the PC's were commanding one of the other Constellation classes on a 5 year mission to explore, seek out new worlds, etc.

As a guy with heavy simulationist leanings, the failure of later series to really integrate the implications of their own technology and scope into the setting really bug me, and certain things like time travel are next to impossible to DM. Star Trek has always had a technobabble problem, and it just gets worse the longer things go. The smaller scale, more limited technology, and so forth of the earlier eras appeal to me far more than the sufficiently advanced technology of later series. Even the TOS era is somewhat problematic, but you can sort of get by by assuming that the various discoveries by the Enterprise go into a development lab somewhere and take a couple of decades to come to market.

innerdude

Legend
I'd be really interested to hear how people get the right kind of Trek "feel" for what they're running. That's always been my dilemma. I think Trek has loads of possibilities as RPG source material --- I've just never been able to wrap my head around how to make it feel right.

EvilPheemy

First Post
As I've played Trek-inspired RPGs over the years, I've learned that the "Star Trek Feel" is much more important than rules, or game balance. For example, when designing Vulcan characters it quickly becomes obvious, mechanically, that Vulcans are the most "cost-effective" character species in the Federation (and maybe the known galaxy outside of the Borg). But if you use game mechanics to "balance" Vulcans, you run the risk of losing a lot of the Star Trek feel. (for Example, if you as GM balance the Vulcan Intellect, and Physical stats with penalties to social interaction because they're "coldly logical", you risk losing all the qualities that made Spock or Tu'Vok endearing in the series and hinder players from emulating them in their characters).

So I recommend that Star Trek tropes should take priority over game balance and mechanics when they come into conflict.

The other big recommendation I can make is to watch as much Star Trek as you can. Look at the episodes and movies from a GMs perspective. Imagine that you're running the plot of the episode or movie as the GM with the characters being PCs in your game. Discover how the pacing goes, what the themes and challenges are, and most importantly, what works and what doesn't. When you begin to analyze the plots of various episodes and movies and eras of Trek you'll develop the "feel" pretty naturally.

Live Long and Prosper!

I'm in the planning stages of a WOIN Trek game on the Excelsior between III and VI.
I like the lesser tech and more exploration based adventures of the Original Series and, frankly, just like the movie uniforms. The galaxy is wilder and the Klingons and Romulans are still dangerous.
The Cardasian war (just pre-TNG) might be a good second choice.
Really, the 70 year period between the movies and the next TV series is filled with potential.

When I do my mini-campaign I'll likely have the ship attacked or damaged early on. Kill the captain and senior staff as the ready room gets spaced. The PCs are the remaining officers and have to take charge. Which alleviated the Chain of Command issues and having one player be the captain.

Last edited:

Remove ads