Where Has All the Magic Gone?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
That said, AFAICT, there are exactly one listing each for "+1 sword" and "Apparatus of Kwalish" in the books, so I'm not sure what to make of your "experience" listed above.

I would agree that +1 swords are far more common than any other unusual item, but that doesn't mean that the full sum of unusual items is not greater than that of +1 swords.

I had the same experience with my combo 1e/2e game. The reason for it was simple, the average dungeon crawl for us went like this:

Room 1: 4 +1 Longswords
Room 2: 2 +1 suits of Leather, 2 +1 Daggers
Room 3: 2 +1 Rings of Protection and a Wand of Fireball
Room 4: Strange Pink Rhomboid Stone
Room 5: A Mug that seems to give us infinite grog
Room 6: +2 Chainmail, Elven Boots

Then at the end, we'd roll to see who got first pick of the treasure. The magic weapons, armors, and rings would go first unless the character in question already had a magic weapon and armor that was equal or better than the ones we found(We had one group who would toss away +4 longswords because we ALL had +5 already at level 12). Only after they were all chosen would the "novelty" items get chosen. That is, the ones that didn't give us a direct and clear advantage in battle or sneaking past a battle.

We all had read the books, we knew what an Apparatus of Kwalish was. If we came across one it was likely half the group would be unwilling to touch it due to the large chance that we got ourselves killed by pulling random levers. Of course, there was always the one joker in our group who would do it anyways and end up getting himself killed...and think it was hilarious.

But we were old school players. We didn't find any mystery in magic items...just usefulness or danger. Either you didn't know what an item did, which meant you would likely blow yourself up along with your entire party by pointing a wand of fireballs at the ground in front of you and saying the command word OR you knew exactly what it was in which case you used it only when it was clearly useful with no danger to your party. So no one used any item that wasn't yet identified or random.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I had the same experience with my combo 1e/2e game. The reason for it was simple, the average dungeon crawl for us went like this:

I am sorry that your play experience did not live up to the potential of the game you were playing.

Perhaps if spells like identify had given as vague of answers as they were intended to, and you hadn't read all the books (thus depriving yourself from the joy of discovery in-game), or had you a better DM (with both better item distribution and recognition of your having read the books so as to create new items), your play experience might have been better.

I know mine was (and is).

;)

RC

I am sorry that your play experience did not live up to the potential of the game you were playing.
I don't think you get it. Your paradigm about what is or isn't a "good play experience" is not an absolute. I'm not holding out my play experience as a sad sob story and asking for sympathy; I'm actively telling you that having mysterious and wondrous magical items doesn't make or break the game for me. In fact, I don't even think it's all that interesting an aspect of the game. In fact, as a guy who prefers a more Hyborean type experience, all those magic items that you're saying are so... well, magical are actually detrimental to what I want from the game most times.

I actually quite like what Eberron's done, where they said, "OK, really, according to the rules, there's no reason why magic shouldn't be more mundane and ubiquitous, at least of a low level, convenient variety that more approximates what technology has done in the real world." Too me, that's much more exciting and interesting than trying to come up with yet another way to emulate some mythological or Tolkienian experience with the game.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I don't think you get it. Your paradigm about what is or isn't a "good play experience" is not an absolute.

Oh, I'm sorry. I obviously missed the place where "You can't have magic and wonder in an rpg" turned into "You don't need magic and wonder in an rpg".

If you are arguing the second, then I can hardly dispute what you want.

I am doing nothing more than saying that the first is hogwash.

RC

Oh, I'm sorry. I obviously missed the place where "You can't have magic and wonder in an rpg" turned into "You don't need magic and wonder in an rpg".

If you are arguing the second, then I can hardly dispute what you want.

I am doing nothing more than saying that the first is hogwash.
So... you're saying that the first argument that I never made is hogwash? Sweet.

Just as you are in the post I was responding to (re: absolute play paradigms).

Funny how that works, isn't it? ;)
Actually, no, it's not. You're not doing the same thing I am, you're just being annoyingly pedantic.

You said that my experience was sad. You said Majoru's experience was qualitatively worse than yours. Presumably you're now going to point to your little winky smilie to say that no, you weren't holding your preference out as an absolute truism now or something equally inane, though. Or some other pedantic dodge of what you actually said.

Whereas, on the other hand, you just completely made up an argument that I never made and attributed it to me. How you now compare our two posts and insinuate that I'm also attacking a strawman because... why; because I didn't restate your last severla posts in the exact words that you originally typed them? has me boggling at your posts for the second time this evening.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Actually, no, it's not. You're not doing the same thing I am, you're just being annoyingly pedantic.

You said that my experience was sad. You said Majoru's experience was qualitatively worse than yours.

Really?

Again, I obviously missed the place where "You can't have magic and wonder in an rpg" turned into "You don't need magic and wonder in an rpg".

So far as I am aware, the topic of this thread, and certainly the topic of conversation which I was persuing, assumes that some sense of mystery and wonder in magic is desireable.

Indeed, the original post claims

I was looking through my AD&D books tonight and noticed how versatile and multi-functional so many of the magic items were.

They were powerful, and they were odd, and fascinating, and most important of all a lot of them could do all kinds of things.

By comparison so many of the magic items of more recent editions are bland, plain, uninspired, and uninspiring.​

It is true that I did make the (apparently mistaken) assumption that you were arguing that the AD&D magic items were not as described, rather than arguing that the items the OP describes as "bland, plain, uninspired, and uninspiring" were preferable. If that is the argument you are making, well, to each his own.

I gained this assumption from the ideas that

(1) You were responding in context of the post you quoted, and

(2) That "when you said

Which version of older D&D are you looking at? Y'know what I remember most from my BD&D and AD&D days? +1 swords.

It wasn't until lateish 3.5, with Weapons of Legacy that I remember D&D ever really trying to bring "magic" to their magic items.​

that you were actually making the claim that I responded to. I.e., that earlier edition magical items were not magical.

Moreover, (3)

Plus, you assume a priori that there's an objective, quantifiable positive to having magic items done the way you want them, which I'd disagree with. I think the paradigm in Eberron, with it's almost assembly line minor magic items, is an intriguing change; a cool new idea that hits like a gust of fresh air.​

suggests that the first part of your post is a seperate thought from the idea that "magical" magic items are desirable.

Frankly, you are arguing that D&D didn't have magical magic items, and that when 3.5 came along, and did away with magical magic items it was a breath of fresh air.

I suppose I attempted to resolve the paradox of your post in the way that (to me) seemed to be the least paradoxical.

I do believe that we read posts through a sort of filter that says, "If I wrote that, this is what I would mean....." which doesn't always convey the intent of the original writer. If I have done so in your case, I certainly apologize.

I'd also be interested in learning exactly what you meant by the above. Because, clearly, I'm not understanding what you are trying to say.

Presumably you're now going to point to your little winky smilie to say that no, you weren't holding your preference out as an absolute truism now or something equally inane, though. Or some other pedantic dodge of what you actually said.

No; I certainly stand by what I said.

Your experience with older D&D magical items, to the degree in which your description thereof is honest, is an artifact of your personal experience, and not an artifact of the game system. Again, the Encyclopedia Magica shows how many weird and wonderful items existed officially, let alone those made up by countless DMs throughout the years.

And it is sad that your experience, apparently, is so at odds with what the game could offer. Especially given your apparent dissatisfaction with what your experience actually was. Exactly as it would be sad if I judged 4e on the basis of a single class and a couple of monsters, then walked away complaining about the game.

I never my desired play experience was universal. You just completely made up an argument that I never made and attributed it to me.

RC

AllisterH

First Post

Perhaps if spells like identify had given as vague of answers as they were intended to, and you hadn't read all the books (thus depriving yourself from the joy of discovery in-game), or had you a better DM (with both better item distribution and recognition of your having read the books so as to create new items), your play experience might have been better.

I know mine was (and is).

;)

RC

That's kinda not fair Raven....Especially if as a young DM, you assumed that the adventures in 1e were supposed to display the typical adventure...

Take Bullgrit/Quasqueton's look at the "classic" adventures of our youth...

There's WAY more basic +X items and simple stuff like scrolls of single spells than "unique magic items". I have the encyclopedia magica as well and I know what you mean that magic items could be mysterious (items under Artwork were always my favourite) but again, it is hard to deny that TSR didn't follow its own suggestions...

Remove ads