• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where to find XPs for item creation?

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Here's the problem:
My Wizard Item creator is always short on XPs for magic item creation.
Now im looking for a way to get some ready to use XPs to put into my creations.
The only thing I found was in BoVD: sacrifice.
This has two problems: it's evil and I don't have any ranks in Knowledge (religion).
Now I'm looking for a spell or maybe an item that let's me get XPs from items like the Artificer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Some Help would be greatly appreciated.

If no idea is coming forth, I must convert to evil and put ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and you wouldn't want me evil. :]

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Epic-level handbook has a suggestion to allow other willing characters to share the XP cost with you. But the actual creator (i.e., you) must pay at least 1/4 of the cost himself.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Part of the whole mechanic of item creation is that by getting magical items your character gets more powerful, so this is compensated for by slowing XP progression. Are you trying to find a way around this limitation?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Pick up the Artificer's Handbok by Mystic Eye Games. It has several options for magic item creation which A) make sense, and B) don't require XP costs.

ARandomGod

First Post
Darkness said:
Epic-level handbook has a suggestion to allow other willing characters to share the XP cost with you. But the actual creator (i.e., you) must pay at least 1/4 of the cost himself.

There are lots of houserules. Personally we always play with some way for the recipient of the item to pay the full XP cost. None of the player's I've played with would charge less than 95% of full market price otherwise, and in general they still charge you 60-70%, even with you paying the XP. I mean, a mage has got to be paid for his work, time and effort. It's not really *fair* for one character to take a feat that he gets no more use out of than people who haven't taken it.

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
Part of the whole mechanic of item creation is that by getting magical items your character gets more powerful, so this is compensated for by slowing XP progression. Are you trying to find a way around this limitation?
No, not really.

It's just that I'm the creator for the whole group and more than one level behind at the moment. I once was the one with the most XPs.
Charging money from the other players just makes things worse: I've got enough wealth for a character three levels above me.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Ah, I take it this isn't the sort of campaign where you can just go off with your money and purchase a bunch of items for yourself then...

You might ask the DM if he'll allow XP-point sharing when crafting. So the person getting the item can pay 50% of the xp cost or something.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Not to mention that lower level characters receive more XP than their higher level party members. There's your extra pool of XP right there!

Not only do you get to make items, you're wealthy enough to buy your own barony, but you ultimately get *more* XP than your fellow PCs. Yea, being an item crafter is nice!

Remove ads