• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where to Next?

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
My concern with a prarie fire is that we will not be able to control it, and that without some meaning added to it the gnolls are just as likely to leave the survivors in the flames, or drag them along.

I do like the idea of getting into the leader's dreams. What about those potions? We could have Ceru walk a ways away with Tormal as a guard, then down a potion and get into the leader's dreams. Once Ceru's been messing around in his head for a while, Tormal gives a signal to Li, who would be all set up in the burning suit stuff. That way, the leaders wakes up from horrible dreams abouy a demon wanting to set the survivors free, only to find the 'demon' standing on a hill, intimidating his people.

Could Oceas give us any information on demons/devils/evil outsiders he knows of? Especially powerful ones tied to fire?

Actually, lighting grass fires has long been a tactic of war. Especially in places such as Africa. You use it to try to drive your enemies in a particular direction. If smoke gets in their eyes and makes it harder for them to see, all the better.

So there may be meaning to a fire, it just might be a different meaning than you intended. :)

Kultar

First Post
The only thing that Tyrm has to offer are some tindertwigs, thunderstones, and candels. Depending on if he got some time to meditate in the sun Tyrm might also have some spells to work with.

BSF

Explorer
Tyrm had from mid-morning to dusk so far. I would say an easy 8 hours of daylight. At the moment, Tyrm would have quite a few more spell options than Ceru and Oceas combined.

Macbeth

First Post
Sure, a bush fire miight work, but it won't nessecarilly get them to leave the captives. A combination of Li's effigy suit, Ceru's dream modification, and maybe even Oceas's Cause Fear.

Just a note on cause fear: it only works on creaturees under 6 HD, which the leader might not be. I would say it's worth a try, since with a DM judgement call it may help the other effects scare him, but I'm not sure how well it will work.

Macbeth

First Post
by the way, are we gaming this Friday? I want to see how this whole Gnoll thing turns out, and I should be able to make it.

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Just a note on cause fear: it only works on creaturees under 6 HD, which the leader might not be. I would say it's worth a try, since with a DM judgement call it may help the other effects scare him, but I'm not sure how well it will work.

Presumably Oceas would know that. I'm not sure Cause Fear is on Ceru's or Tyrm's spell lists, so they might or might not know that. Li wouldn't.

Still you are discussing strategy and tactics of the group, not of the opponents. Gentle reminders to other players is generally fine. Not everyone has the same amount of familiarity with the rules and trying to remember all the limitations of all your spells when you are memorization (as opposed to spontaneous) caster is difficult.

Macbeth

First Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to post that as Li's knowledge, I ment it more as a metagame reminder. Li still thinks (as do I) thta Oceas should try the spell. I know it may not work cause of hit dice, but Li thinks it will probably work about as reliably as any magic.

Macbeth

First Post
Let's talk timing: when are we going to put this plan into motion? I would think the next night would be the best. Ayla could track the gnolls for another day, our spellcasters could get some spells back. Also, we could observe when the leader seems to sleep, so Ceru can get into his dreams. Since they don't know we're here, I doubt they'll kill any captives tonight.

Kultar

First Post
Macbeth said:
Let's talk timing: when are we going to put this plan into motion? I would think the next night would be the best. Ayla could track the gnolls for another day, our spellcasters could get some spells back. Also, we could observe when the leader seems to sleep, so Ceru can get into his dreams. Since they don't know we're here, I doubt they'll kill any captives tonight.

I am not sure when they are going to start killing the captives but we need to have one plan for if they do tonight and another for if we have a day to get ready.

Remove ads