• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heaven. Especially served hot.

104512070_greggs_337308c.jpg

I was hungry before I saw that, now my mouth is salivating like a starved homeless man looking at a roast 1 foot in front of him.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
So, a slight change in topic while keeping to the thread;

Hospital and Surgeon vs The Hospital and The doctor

It almost seems Hospital and Surgeon are proper nouns with out the "The" added before them as normal nouns. Is that correct? Do Brits use these terms?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, a slight change in topic while keeping to the thread;

Hospital and Surgeon vs The Hospital and The doctor

It almost seems Hospital and Surgeon are proper nouns with out the "The" added before them as normal nouns. Is that correct? Do Brits use these terms?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether we say "I'm going to hospital?" as opposed to "I'm going to the hospital?"

Yes, we do. Like "I'm going to school" or "I'm going to jail", the definite article is not spoken when referring to it as a general state. When referring to the actual specific location, though, we say "the prison" and "the school" and "the hospital". "I applied for a cleaning job at the hospital" is correct, as is "he has been contracted to do some repairs to the prison roof".

You do the same thing as us with school, college, jail, and other words. You have a special exception for hospital, though. We don't.

We don't say "I'm going to doctor" though.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Heaven. Especially served hot.

104512070_greggs_337308c.jpg

Many cultures have some kind of dish that is essentially meat in a baked bread.

My favorite take, these days, is the kolache- Texas has a large number of Czech descendants, so those things are everywhere. Favorite type of kolache: spiced sausage with Swiss cheese and sauerkraut, especially the ones from The Czech Stop in West, Texas, right off of I-35, just north of Waco.

Amusingly, because Texas is surprisingly diverse in demographics, you're more likely to get your kolaches* from Mexicans, Vietnamese or Korean bakers than Czechs in most of the major cities. :)

* and almost every other ethnic food as well: those groups- especially the Mexicans- are found cooking in almost every kitchen around. Because of this, I've been saying for years that the next great fusion chef or cuisine is going to come out of one of Texas' cities.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tangentially, not an observation of dialect, but of culture...I just stumbled on this bit excerpted from a piece about a Danish author who focused on/wrote about/codified the Danish cultural trope of Jante Law:

These are the rules of Jante Law, the social norms one should apparently be aware of if one is planning a move to the north:

You shall not believe that you are someone.
You shall not believe that you are as good as we are.
You shall not believe that you are any wiser than we are.
You shall never indulge in the conceit of imagining that you are better than we are.
You shall not believe that you know more than we do.
You shall not believe that you are more important than we are.
You shall not believe that you are going to amount to anything.
You shall not laugh at us.
You shall not believe that anyone cares about you.
You shall not believe that you can teach us anything.

Remove ads