• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
When I curled in High school it was with barbell or dumbbells.

I A M S O C O N F U Z Z Z E D ! ! !

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay next round Roads - we drive on the road, part of a network of roadways and we walk on footpaths (which are paved with concrete pavement). Most houses also have their own driveway where the family car, ute, van or SVU is parked (sometimes in a carport or even in its own garage) if you don't have a driveway then you are forced to park on the 'street', against the curb but not of the grass verge.

What do you do?

Also if Motorways and Freeways are the same thing then what is an Expressway and a Parkway?

Scott DeWar

a bit of clarification of some of what is mentioned above:

Freeway is the same as the interstate highway and by definition of an expressway of limited access it could either mean a us highway or the freeway, where the freeway /interstate is accessed at on and off ramp and are non stop with no lights (except when there is an accident or construction or something) and the US highway is accessed at access points that require you, most of the time, to stop or sometimes you have to stop at an actual stop light. Some times you have on/off ramps at a US highway.

US 63 and I 70 for these two examples for the above descriptions. I am going to on a limb and ask if by expressway you meant the interstate due to the 'express' movement of traffic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
a bit of clarification of some of what is mentioned above:

Freeway is the same as the interstate highway and by definition of an expressway of limited access it could either mean a us highway or the freeway, where the freeway /interstate is accessed at on and off ramp and are non stop with no lights (except when there is an accident or construction or something) and the US highway is accessed at access points that require you, most of the time, to stop or sometimes you have to stop at an actual stop light. Some times you have on/off ramps at a US highway.

US 63 and I 70 for these two examples for the above descriptions. I am going to on a limb and ask if by expressway you meant the interstate due to the 'express' movement of traffic.

You've just defined a U.S.-specific term using a bunch of other US-specifics terms. "Highway" is no clearer than "freeway". And "US 63" means as much to me as I suspect "the M27" means to you. The result has not been clarification. :)

Scott DeWar

Hey! isn't it at 3 am there ?!? Sorry. Let me just ask you to ignore it untill I return on my tomorrow, please.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey! isn't it at 3 am there ?!? Sorry. Let me just ask you to ignore it untill I return on my tomorrow, please.

Don't worry about it! It wasn't my question - I was just making a trivial observation about the reply. I have no desire to learn anything about road naming conventions in the US. :)

Remove ads