• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The opposite of the food in the Amtrak dining car. That food was superb in the 80's. But like the British rail system being gone, so is also Amtrak

Bullgrit

Adventurer
If you call a trip away, a "holiday", what do you call special days on a calendar (like Christmas, or Thanksgiving, or Fourth of July)?

Bullgrit

[sblock]Hehehe :) I know, I know.[/sblock]

pedr

Explorer
We call specific public holiday days "Bank Holidays" (as historically the closure of banks presumably meant that most businesses didn't operate).

We tend to use the word holiday in a lot of cases, including paid time off from work whatever the date. We usually call the winter celebration period "Christmas" even if we're not at all religious (and, probably, even many who are adherents of other religions will call the season Christmas). It took me a while to work out what "the holidays" meant when TV schedulers used it to mean "around Christmas time".

pedr

Explorer
I don't actually know what potted shrimp is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pate of some kind.

But British English uses the word prawn for the common small or medium-sized pink shellfish often eaten with tomato mayonnaise and lettuce as a starter (prawn/shrimp cocktail?). I think we use the word shrimp for something specific and slightly different.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tripadvisor should give you some good pointers. When I go to London I don't tend to eat anywhere special, because I can eat fantastic food here for half the price. The one place that stands out is Kopapa, which is right in the West End - we had a lovely brunch there.

Huh! Kopapa is a New Zealand Resteraunt, though fusion based. Pretty cool that it gets a thumbs up:)

Potted Shrimp is shrimp set in spiced butter in a small pot. James Bond likes it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads