• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where's the Errata?

Voadam

Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing errata for the Spell Compendium.

Orb spell schools and spell resistance entries would be a nice place to start for that IMO :)

Khairn

First Post
sjmiller said:
What I can't understand is why a small game company (read Steve Jacson Games) that has produced hundreds of items over the span of about 30 years can keep up with errata for every single product, yet WotC can't give us errata on just the products produced in the last 8 years. Add to that the fact that they are just going to give up on it in a few months, because nobody will want that old stuff after 4th edition comes out. Well, I imagine that is what they are thinking.

The difference is one company is committed to recognizing their errors and correcting them for their customers. The other isn't.

One of the things that I find very interesting is the lack of community interest in errata. There was a lot of discussion about the errata push when it was first announced, but no one seems to care now that 4e has been announced. I find it very strange that people in the 4e forum will argue to the bitter end about what "clues" were given about 4e, whether WotC officials gave misleading information about 4e, discuss business models, and scour blogs for more info, but formal news releases and direct posts from WotC employees about errata have been pretty much forgotten.

People screamed about the magazine cancellations, but aren't bothered that WotC will charge them for errata via Compendiums or "deluxe" editions, and will lie to their faces about it. I have seen many people proclaim that they will never support 4e because of what WotC did to the magazines or campaign settings or their favorite sacred cow, but no one complains about the lack of errata.

I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I work as an applications engineer, but I believe that post-market product support is a huge deal. For me, it's a make-or-break consideration. But it seems that I am the in the minority.

boerngrim

Explorer
Hi
I find the lack of Errata and the need for so much errata equally frustrating. The editing and proofreading on these products seems to be sorely lacking in the first place. Then we don't see corrections. I believe that WoTC has never been focused on customer satisfaction. It is my opinion that they are focused on selling widgets. It seems that once they have our money for a widget, they see no value in making sure customers are happy with the widget they just bought. They seem to focus on selling us the next widget. These are just one person's opinions.
Thanks.

Asmor

First Post
I generally don't even use errata... Too much of a pain in the nether regions for too little gain.

My options are

1: Play with the books as written
2: Memorize all errata and apply it on the fly
3: Print out all errata, cut it up, tape it into place on the books

Guess which is more fun?

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Sammael said:
It's a good thing only if you want the products to never get released.

I'm a software developer and I damn well know that 99.99% of software developers would never get any product out of the door without some type of project management.

I work in IT Operations. And I can tell you that one of the biggest impediments I've ever encountered and stood in the way of getting actual work done is "project managers."

Burke

First Post
Asmor said:
I generally don't even use errata... Too much of a pain in the nether regions for too little gain.

My options are

1: Play with the books as written
2: Memorize all errata and apply it on the fly
3: Print out all errata, cut it up, tape it into place on the books

Guess which is more fun?

Yeah, that's how I feel. I generally dislike errata, don't care whether it's released or not, and absolutely don't want errata included in subsequent printings of books. Back when I was still playing 3.0 I hated the fact that the 2nd printing of the PHB included errata, since some of the people in my group had one printing and some had another and on certain subjects (like druid animal companions) it tended to result in confusion and people playing by different sets of rules.

It's just a pain to use and remember for not much gain. I'd prefer WotC to be perfect the first time, but since that isn't realistic I'd rather just use the flawed versions in the books even if there are balance issues, unless something is a huge problem in play or I just completely can't figure out how something is supposed to work.

Burke said:
Back when I was still playing 3.0 I hated the fact that the 2nd printing of the PHB included errata, since some of the people in my group had one printing and some had another and on certain subjects (like druid animal companions) it tended to result in confusion and people playing by different sets of rules.

They still do change things in different printings. Having no errata just means they don't even inform the earlier customers when they do it.

Remove ads