• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Which 4e races do you like mechanically

Which 4e race do like mechanically

• Dragonborn

Votes: 66 57.9%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 82 71.9%
  • Eladrin

Votes: 63 55.3%
  • Elf

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Half-elf

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • Halfling

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • Human

Votes: 79 69.3%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 32 28.1%

Blackbrrd

First Post
So... it looks like they did a pretty good job with the assorted player races, except for three of them: the elf, half-elf and the tiefling.

Personally I voted for halfling and elf because of the good racial ability and ok stats. (the halfling makes a makes a great cha based paladin, while the elf is a really good ranged ranger.)

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I voted for all, except the half-elf (whose stat bonuses are fine, but is lacking in the other areas) and eladrin (who have pretty decent racials, but unimpressive stat bonuses).

nute

Explorer
I dig about half of them. The one I have the most problem with is the halfling. So far I cannot find one single positive aspect to being of Small size. It absolutely destroys any role for the halfling except caster or dagger-wielding rogue.

ZetaStriker

First Post
I don't mind Tieflings, but they aren't a favorite. I'd actually prefer it if they had the Drow darkness racial power... which I might houserule into them, since I wont make Drow available to my players.

Anyway, Eladrin are probably my favorite... yes, overlapping Int and Dex isn't amazingly good, but their Fey Step, proficiencies, and some of their racial feats are my favorite racial features in the game. And the Int and Dex boosts will at least come in handy for Wizard/Rogues or Rogue/Wizards.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
RangerWickett said:
Does anyone actually like tieflings?
I do!

Between their racial abilities and their racial feats, they can perform surprisingly well in a variety of roles. I don't like their giant horns or mandatory tails, but the mechanics are nice for many of my favorite classes.

The other races I like are Dragonborn, Dwarves and Elves.

IMHO the Dragonborn are unnecessary, but mechanically sound. If I were playing Arcana Evolved, I'd have no complaints about them.

Elves do several things well, including Wizardry, which is a bit of a surprise. As Clerics and Rangers, they are flat-out excellent.

Dwarves are great Fighters and Clerics (no surprise), and also quite good Warlocks.

- - -

Breaking it down by role, I like:

Tieflings: Striker (Warlock), Leader (Warlord), Controller (Wizard), Defender (Paladin)
Elves: Striker (Ranger, Rogue), Leader (Cleric), Controller (Wizard)
Dwarves: Striker (Warlock), Defender (Fighter), Leader (Cleric)
Dragonborn: Defender (Paladin), Leader (Cleric, Warlord), Striker (Warlock)

- - -

Why I don't like Humans: their most awesome ability (extra at-will) is only useful for a few classes (Wizards, 2/3 Warlocks, maybe Warlords). Other classes seem to each have only two decent at-wills for each "build" type -- for example, there are two Wis-based Cleric attacks, and two Str-based Cleric attacks. Humans don't have the ability points to be decent with both types, so it's just taunting them with something they'll never use. Very sad.

Cheers, -- N

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
nute said:
I dig about half of them. The one I have the most problem with is the halfling. So far I cannot find one single positive aspect to being of Small size. It absolutely destroys any role for the halfling except caster or dagger-wielding rogue.

I hear you. Halfling is one of my favorite races to play. When I first saw that they took away a number of penalties I was happy, but then I noticed they also took away just about every bonus of small size.

Heck, you mention halfling casters, but they can't use a staff because of their size, so they are missing one of the three implements. (I'm sure any DM will allow a small sized staff as an implement, but RAW they couldn't have one because it's a two handed weapon. And even then they might not be able to use a magical one that is found.)

*shrug* They took away their uniqueness and replaced it with a interesting culture that may not be imported in homebrews, leaving them with little to point to.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

rkanodia

First Post
nute said:

How so? Halfling fighters, and especially paladins, seem a lot stronger in 4E than they were in 3.X. You used to get -1 to hit and damage from the strength penalty alone, and then you lost a die size on your weapons. Now, in a game where most fighters and paladins will be using one-handed weapons, there's almost no downside to being a halfling. Sure, you have to use a scimitar instead of a longsword, losing a +1 proficiency bonus and picking up High Crit, but that's not exactly the end of the world.

Remove ads