• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 38 24.5%
  • Planescape

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Eberron

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • My own homebrew

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I'm not picky. I'd run whatever they publish!

Votes: 4 2.6%

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
The LGG was the Greyhawk sourcebook of 3e. Hell, I still use it. Is a great book, albeit soft-cover and cheaply made B&W art due to WotC stinginess. But it's the same as any other sourcebook. You either sought it out or you didn't. Regardless, it wasn't needed in order to play a D&D 3e game. WotC didn't expect anyone to learn about it online any more than they expected people to learn about the Forgotten Realms sourcebook, or the sourcebooks for 1e and 2e before there even was an internet.

The LGG was the Greyhawk sourcebook of 3e. Hell, I still use it. Is a great book, albeit soft-cover and cheaply made B&W art due to WotC stinginess. But it's the same as any other sourcebook. You either sought it out or you didn't.
It's fair to say that the "Living" monicker and the RPGA connexion hurt the book's impact. People felt that this was not a regular setting, something that couldn't be used for everyday gaming.

Imaro

Legend
It's fair to say that the "Living" monicker and the RPGA connexion hurt the book's impact. People felt that this was not a regular setting, something that couldn't be used for everyday gaming.

I think on top of that, the production values (especially when compared with the gigantic hardback in color they did for the Realms) also hurt sales of the book. The funny thing is that the 3e D&D gazetteer was also Greyhawk, though in a much more pared down form when compared to the LGG... though I don't think it was ever communicated well to consumers.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I voted for Dark Sun because I'd like to see Psionics covered. The poll did ask what we'd "like to see" first, so that's it. What I think is more likely to actually get put out first would be Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or Planescape. Another world/setting I'd love to see an update for would be the BECMI world that Karameikos and all the Gazateers were set in! Nothing like setting out for adventure at 1st level from the town of Threshold into the big bad world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dollars to donuts we'll see FR, Eberron, Dragonlance and Greyhawk first, considering the amount they get talked about in both the PHB and MM.

Nivenus

First Post
I wonder if perhaps WotC's strategy will be to concentrate on setting books next year in the same way they focused on releasing the three core rulebooks and starter set this year.

Perhaps instead of releasing them on an annual basis (as they did for 4e and which eventually dropped off after Dark Sun) they'll release several setting books in the same year with some included mechanics, to try and cover as many bases as possible while doing a minimal amount of work. It wouldn't surprise me overly much if we say "generic" settings like Greyhawk, the Realms, and Dragonlance all released the same year, followed with support for "weirder" settings like Eberron, Planescape, and Dark Sun the following year.

Imaro

Legend
While my favorite of the settings above is Planescape... I voted Greyhawk, since I think it serves much better as a first/intro/default setting and it's a close second as far as settings I enjoy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads