• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 38 24.5%
  • Planescape

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Eberron

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • My own homebrew

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I'm not picky. I'd run whatever they publish!

Votes: 4 2.6%

Greyhawk, without any doubt.
Not only is it my favorite setting, but because it's a pain to find good material for. Outside of the LG sourcebook, most of the info for the setting is mixed around OOP magazines, boxed sets and books which makes getting it all quite expensive.... Not as bad as Planescape though, which I also really want to see published.

I'd rather see WotC wait a bit to publish their FR and Eberron books just because the settings books for them are both highly available and quite cheap.

Also, as for all those who say that Greyhawk is "Bland", well, I seriously doubt that they know too much about Greyhawk.... not really surprising as it hasn't received much support in years....
There was Paizohawk, which was awesome but only in the magazines and thus well known.... and the slew of 2e products, some of which were insultingly bad (Castle Greyhawk, I'm looking at you....)

Yes, that's very odd. I'd love it if people who voted Greyhawk came here to explain why they think it would be a good choice (apart from tradition, which isn't really much of an argument.) Forgotten Realms I can understand, because although I find it bland and not very exciting, it provides a blank canvas for fantasy adventures that people may find attractive, but Greyhawk, I feel, has very few saving graces.

1) Realistic religions
As a Polytheist myself (Romuva), I appreciate how Greyhawk mirrors religions IRL. Each ethnic group bad their own pantheon of deities and the way that they are worshiped can greatly change over time (The Flan vs Old Flan, for example). You also have deities being viewed greatly differently.... just look at Phlotus worship in the Theocracy of Pale (nothing like smoked heretic!).
The gods have a functional role in society and unlike FR, there is no "overdiety" to make gods pointless.

2) Awesome locations
Greyhawk is home to lots of Iconic areas such as the ToEE, The Bandit Lands, White Plume Mountain, Greyhawk City and it's ruins, The Ghost-tower of Inverness, Maure Castle, The Theocracy of the Pale, The Shield Lands and many-many other locations.
Yes, WotC have stoles these locations to jam into other settings, but that doesn't change what they come from Greyhawk. There are many secrets yet to delve into as well

3) The Best Adventures
Pretty much all of the best D&D adventures have been from the Greyhawk setting.... Against the Giants, ToEE, Castle Greyhawk (and it's 3.5 sequel), Maure Castle (and it's 3.5 sequel), Savage Tide, Age of Worms, The Ivistin Trilogy, Mad God's Key, Slavers, etc.... You'd be very hard pressed to see any other setting with so many great adventures (well, at least under an the official brand... Paizo has been doing an awesome job with Goloron, although Paizo also had a lot of the guys like James Jacobs and Erik Mona that loved GH and who greatly enriched it under the magazines run... aka "Paizohawk")

4) Characters
Iuz the Evil, Igglwiv, Mordenkainen and The Circle of Eight, Grazzt, Prince Zeech, Dragotha, Snurre (who's on the dang PHB cover) and many others.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Also, as for all those who say that Greyhawk is "Bland", well, I seriously doubt that they know too much about Greyhawk.... not really surprising as it hasn't received much support in years....

This is a criticism of Greyhawk that I've never understood. To me, I find FR bland because I feel that the noise to sound ratio is so high which I feel drowns out any of the interesting parts of it. Whereas with Greyhawk there are nuggets of awesome which serves to highlight them rather than be just another random noise adding to the cacophony.

Greyhawk, without any doubt.
Not only is it my favorite setting, but because it's a pain to find good material for. Outside of the LG sourcebook, most of the info for the setting is mixed around OOP magazines, boxed sets and books which makes getting it all quite expensive.... Not as bad as Planescape though, which I also really want to see published.

I'd rather see WotC wait a bit to publish their FR and Eberron books just because the settings books for them are both highly available and quite cheap.

There was Paizohawk, which was awesome but only in the magazines and thus well known.... and the slew of 2e products, some of which were insultingly bad (Castle Greyhawk, I'm looking at you....)

1) Realistic religions
As a Polytheist myself (Romuva), I appreciate how Greyhawk mirrors religions IRL. Each ethnic group bad their own pantheon of deities and the way that they are worshiped can greatly change over time (The Flan vs Old Flan, for example). You also have deities being viewed greatly differently.... just look at Phlotus worship in the Theocracy of Pale (nothing like smoked heretic!).
The gods have a functional role in society and unlike FR, there is no "overdiety" to make gods pointless.

2) Awesome locations
Greyhawk is home to lots of Iconic areas such as the ToEE, The Bandit Lands, White Plume Mountain, Greyhawk City and it's ruins, The Ghost-tower of Inverness, Maure Castle, The Theocracy of the Pale, The Shield Lands and many-many other locations.
Yes, WotC have stoles these locations to jam into other settings, but that doesn't change what they come from Greyhawk. There are many secrets yet to delve into as well

3) The Best Adventures
Pretty much all of the best D&D adventures have been from the Greyhawk setting.... Against the Giants, ToEE, Castle Greyhawk (and it's 3.5 sequel), Maure Castle (and it's 3.5 sequel), Savage Tide, Age of Worms, The Ivistin Trilogy, Mad God's Key, Slavers, etc.... You'd be very hard pressed to see any other setting with so many great adventures (well, at least under an the official brand... Paizo has been doing an awesome job with Goloron, although Paizo also had a lot of the guys like James Jacobs and Erik Mona that loved GH and who greatly enriched it under the magazines run... aka "Paizohawk")

4) Characters
Iuz the Evil, Igglwiv, Mordenkainen and The Circle of Eight, Grazzt, Prince Zeech, Dragotha, Snurre (who's on the dang PHB cover) and many others.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Although I guess that in a way, your points could be boiled down to "I really, really like Greyhawk" it helps me understand where you're coming from nonetheless.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I've liked Eberron ever since it came out. I remember when I bought the ECG back when if came out. I got the thing on a whim beacuse my LFGS was having a D&D sale for the 30th Anniversary. And damn if it isn't my favourite setting. Seriously it gets D&D kind of gonzo game style. Its a setting that's configured from the ground up to support the ideas of D&D rather than having D&D rules tacked onto the setting after the fact. I love that aspect of it, I love the complete lack of any real metaplot as well.

CrusaderX

First Post
I'm hoping for more Greyhawk in 5e. It's mostly nostalgic for me, since my first gaming group played in Greyhawk back in the early 1980s when we acquired the World of Greyhawk boxed set (love those maps!). But I also think Greyhawk strikes a nice balance of being generic enough to customize to your liking while still containing lots of good lore specific to the setting.

Ashaharazen

Villager
I voted Forgotten Realms, mainly because they staggered the release of the core manuals and used FR for the adventures that have been released so far.

Otherwise I'd probably lean towards either just using my own world, or Dark Sun because it was my favorite setting in 2ed because of its uniqueness.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Forgotten Realms

This poll asks Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E? This could be because adventure paths are published in the setting, a campaign source book is released, or other similar product.

"My own homebrew" should read "I use my own Homebrew". Don't mean to intend for people to choose this option wanting their own to be published first. But hey, that works too.

I voted Dark Sun, however, clearly the next setting published material should be Forgotten Realms as its the official setting.

Remove ads