• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which campaign setting(s) should be supported?

Which campaign setting(s) do you want to see supported by WotC?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 115 46.6%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 133 53.8%
  • Eberron

Votes: 143 57.9%
  • Al-Quadim

Votes: 57 23.1%
  • Planescape

Votes: 115 46.6%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 70 28.3%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 85 34.4%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Mystara

• Birthright

• Kara-tur (or Oriental Adventures)

Votes: 54 21.9%
  • Mastica

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 31 12.6%
  • None(!)

Votes: 7 2.8%

Sage

Explorer
After the release og 4e, which campaign setting(s) do you want to see supported by WotC?

I know this was probably done with third edition too, but my memory isn't that good.

AllisterH

First Post
For me, I voted Al-Qadim.

FR, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Oriental Adventures and Ravenloft have all been relatively recently updated even if it was a previous edition or even a different company.

Al-Qadim was one of TSR's best settings (it was actually designed as a limited campaign setting but fan demand actually gave it 1 extra year) yet it has never been touched since then.

I think a campaign setting based on 1001 Nights should get a new hardcover since Arabian fantasy used to be the mythology most people found about AFTER they got tired of traditional Western fantasy/mythology (Asian adventures have supplanted Arabian Nights....)

Glyfair

Explorer
Define "supported."

Is a setting "supported" if it gets at least one article a year in Dragon?

What if it gets a single sourcebook sometime during the 4E period?

What if it gets the single sourcebook and another single supporting book?

What if it gets a single sourcebook and periodic articles in Dungeon/Dragon?

What if it can be played easily with the rules we are given, but no explicit mention of the setting is made?

What if it regularly is used as an example in the core books, but gets no books specific to the setting?

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I think the core rulebooks need a generic setting, and most of those on the list are not them. Not by a long shot. And FR and Eberron are not generic settings either.

So keep Greyhawk around. A lot of people know it, it has lots of support though most of it is very old, and the RPGA keeps it "alive" in a sense.... ;)

But what I would really like to se is a new setting, like Rich's one, something to help separate 4E from 3.x.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I think WOTC need to focus on a few campaign settings and support them well - I'd recommend Forgotten Realms and Eberron (even though I personally don't like it) for this treatment.

I'd like to see the following also published - but I don't think WOTC will be able to (or should) support them all as extensively - Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Other (Roman, Celtic, Arthurian, Inca/Maya/Aztec, Arabian, Oriental)

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
crazy_cat said:
I think WOTC need to focus on a few campaign settings and support them well - I'd recommend Forgotten Realms and Eberron (even though I personally don't like it) for this treatment.
I think the opposite. :) I think WOTC should put out several settings over the years, and do only the main campaign book and 1-3 supplements total for each.

I voted for:
Forgotten Realms - It's not my favorite setting, but I play in a longstanding FR game, and the realms have lots of interesting things in it which can be ported to other settings.
Eberron
Oriental Adventures - I don't especially care about Kara Tur, but I want an OA book, and Kara Tur is a good implied setting.
Birthright - My favorite D&D fantasy setting. I don't expect it to be republished, but a man can hope, right?
Dragonlance - Just a single sourcebook detailing the various mechanical bits (wizards of high sorcery, the knightly orders, draconians, etc), plus an overview of the setting and DM advice.
Planescape - I want planescape! Don't make it a "meta-setting" to shoehorn other settings into, focus on its biggest strength, cool planar adventuring.

I'd also really like Birthright and Taladas, but I don't expect it to happen.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Atlatl Jones said:
I think the opposite. :) I think WOTC should put out several settings over the years, and do only the main campaign book and 1-3 supplements total for each.

I'd like a middle ground - one or two settings that are "fully supported" settings that get constant support through the life of 4e, and a whole bunch of other settings that follow White Wolf's "limited support" model of having a total of 5-6 books for the entire line, all appearing within a single year. The "fully supported" lines would get more books overall, but at a slower pace than the limited support settings.

delericho

Legend
Mastica? Is that the world Chewie comes from? (Sorry, really bad pun. Couldn't resist.)

Seriously, I'm not in the market to buy into any setting, be it new or old. Therefore, as long as the game continues to support me in my desire to create a homebrew setting, I'm happy. However, I will say: if WotC decide to support any setting, I hope they do so well. Even a one-book deal, if that book is equivalent in presentation to the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, would be good. By contrast, about the worst thing they could do is publish a single large volume "Worlds of D&D" covering each setting as a single chapter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads