Which Class do you hate/dislike ?

Which Class do you hate ?! (multiple choice allowed)

• Paladin... awful goody...

Votes: 37 17.4%
  • Sorceror or Wizard.. no wand waving...

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Barbarian... savages all

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Rogue... thieves I say...

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Bard... too dandy...

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Cleric... dont mention religion...

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Ranger... smells strange...

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Druid... no animals in the Inn please...

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Fighter... all muscles and no brain...

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Monk... this is medieval europe !

Votes: 84 39.4%

bwgwl

First Post
i've been playing a bard in a campaign recently, and i'm having a blast! easily the most fun character i've played in D&D.

what i don't like are wizards... having to lug around that spellbook, spending every waking moment searching for scrolls or other wizards' books for new spells, having to prepare all your spells in advance... bleh. give me spontaneous casting any day! :D

Ace

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
I hate the Bard class mostly. (see my thread entitled "am I a powergamer?" for more info on that)

The Bard is NOT a Jack-of-all-trades. It's very narrow in its definition and is designed to be a "dump all your points in charisma and take lots of enchantment spells, and Bluff and Diplomacy ranks" - period. You have no choice in this matter. The class is weak, awkward, and clumsy, and is probably better served by other alternatives.

Take Bard and a couple of levels of Barbarian and you have the ulimate Buff Monkey .

Decent Fighting, all around good saves, healing spells, decent AC, excelent weapons, stealth, bard songs for buffing and spells

Rather than doing the "charm" route take healing and buffing spells like bulls strength.

With that combo you can amp the whole party up, back up in combat and even summon help.

Shoot with your 10' move bonus you can get around the battlefield very well too.

The only weakness you have is AC and spell casting which is easy to fix with some good magic items.

Very nasty, especially with good stats.

Christian

Explorer
I'm having a great time playing a monk in my current game. If he croaks, I'm planning to play a halfling rogue/bard. I guess I'm just a contrarian kind of guy. :D

I had a second edition 9th level fighter dual classed to 18th level bard that would heavily disagree with the assertion that the class was weak.

In 2E the access to the complete wizards spellcaster list made them quite powerful. Properly used they made for very effective self-buffing melee monsters.

rounser said:
I like 1E bards - I think they captured the archetype better, even if they were an oversuped proto-prestige class. The 2E and 3E designers didn't give the class the power and respect it deserves to meet the mythological archetype, IMO...

Agback

Explorer
Monk... this is medieval europe !

I've only played in one attempt to set a D&D game in mediaeval Europe, and it didn't take a monk to make that go off the rails. The paladin was bad enough, as his 'detect evil' ability killed the campaign stone cold dead. We never got to the point where he could cast spells, and didn't have a cleric in the party. But clerical magic would have killed mediaeval Europe too.

Who says D&D has to be set in mediaeval Europe? Who even thinks it ought to be? And why are the supposed enthusiasts of mediaeval Europe so often completely ignorant of mediaeval Europe?

Regards,

Agback

Ace

Adventurer
Re: Monk... this is medieval europe !

Agback said:
I've only played in one attempt to set a D&D game in mediaeval Europe, and it didn't take a monk to make that go off the rails. The paladin was bad enough, as his 'detect evil' ability killed the campaign stone cold dead. We never got to the point where he could cast spells, and didn't have a cleric in the party. But clerical magic would have killed mediaeval Europe too.

Who says D&D has to be set in mediaeval Europe? Who even thinks it ought to be? And why are the supposed enthusiasts of mediaeval Europe so often completely ignorant of mediaeval Europe?

Regards,

Agback

Harsh but true. D&D is IMO generally played as a high magic game not as a historical game.

Even some of the alternate magic systems, Wheel of Time, Soverign Stone etc don't fit the medieval world very well

This is JMHO but D&D is its own genere. Now the system is fairly flexible and can be tweaked to play Wheel of Time, Conan and Tolkien with some work but its not what is was designed for.

Thats however is off thread.

More on topic, the monk class is a a little bleh IME. It works OK mechanically but doesn't really fit a lot of worlds.

Remove ads